How to open trunk with no key

RIQUE

Reaction score
Hi list, boy am I in trouble. My cars arrived at local customs office and the customs officer requested I open the trunk.

My new ignition key works with my original lock but it will not open the
boot. Any ideas what I can do other than
dynamite the trunk.

andrey

Reaction score
you might be able to get in to it though the gas cap door, but I am not sure. as a side note, the dimple keys that these cars have are funny in that (after the locks wear down a bit) other cars' keys will probably open it. for example, I can open the E9's doors here with my E3's ignition key. if you somehow have access to any other keys, you should carefully try them. if all else fails, you can drill through the lock and then replace it later.

corsachili

Reaction score
If you can get to the trunk through a speaker hole opening in the parcel tray it can be done, even if the trunk is locked. You need a piece of 1/4 flat aluminum, thick enough to have structural integrity, but thin enough to slide through the hole. Put a 90 degree (or slightly over) bend on one end, with about an inch of length (past the bend). You can hook it on to the trunk latch and pull (toward the front of the car) which will release the latch. A flashlight will help you to see where you need to hook the latch, but it's actually not that hard. If you don't have access to the trunk from that part of the car, you might try the fuel door as Andrey mentions.

Malc

Reaction score
Don't go through the petrol filler (gas tank door) you cant't get the seals anymore...

The best and most ugly way of doing it is to "pop" the lock
(slide hammer)
sorry
Malc

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had to do this on my 2002. Same applies for coupe. Remove your rear center console, or one of your seats if you don't care about symmetry. Using a hole saw (I used a 1-1/2" dia.) cut a hole at about the same level as the trunk lock. Unlock trunk with appropriately long stick. The large hole helps you see where you are poking.