How to store brake calipers?

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of recently refurbished front brake calipers, done by Jaymic. I plan to keep for spares if ever mine have a problem. They are actually 02 calipers so will need the spacer to be added to fit my CSI which has vented front discs.
They have been used, hence will have traces of brake fluid, how do I store them?
Do I;
Just wait until I need them, then add the spacer
Dismantle them, clean and wait until I need them to rebuild.
Dismantle, rebuild and reassemble using red caliper grease, them store them.

My fear is that the traces of brake fluid will attract moisture which will eventually cause internal rust.
All advice welcome.
Thanks C

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
vs4500_1.jpg

Wladek

Reaction score
Not so long ago i made rebuild of couple caliper sets & after disassembly of old calipers that still had very old brake fluid inside was no rust.
I think Mark's proposition is the best for dry caliper store.

Honolulu

Reaction score
my 2 cents... The presence of brake fluid doesn't "attract" rust because "rust" doesn't "know" there's metal there. That said, fluid will absorb moisture from the air if said air is humid. Moisture leads to rust. Thus, dry storage.

Also, cap the fluid lines so no air (and thus no humidity) can get in. Spray the outside with whatever longterm rust inhibitor you prefer, and pack them away in sealed containers.

jmackro

Reaction score
Do I;
Just wait until I need them, then add the spacer
Dismantle them, clean and wait until I need them to rebuild.
Dismantle, rebuild and reassemble using red caliper grease, them store them.

I vote for "B": Dismantle them, clean and wait until I need them to rebuild

Sealing them like hamburgers will only seal in whatever moisture is in the air and dissolved in the residual brake fluid. Those bags work for hamburgers because you want burgers to retain their moisture - not dry out - and you keep them in the freezer since ice isn't as reactive as liquid water.

Maybe putting some desicant in the bag would help (or storing them in your freezer!), but disassembling them, wiping off any brake fluid and spraying with rust preventative oil seems better to me.