I’m back...

Pinstripe inc.

Reaction score
‘73 3.0cs, matching numbers. VIN 2250144 Agave. I’m looking forward to discussion during the COVID wi?

ABBB9611-FF7A-458E-9103-46DCFCA1555B.jpeg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As an original owner, can you confirm as to whether it came with black or chrome hood and fender grilles originally? Thank you.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love your burgundy colour. You seem to have unusual front bumperettes?
Yes, all 73 US/NA market coupes had them in response to the DOT’s 2 1/2 mph impact requirements, including rear bumpers mounted on hoops. Many have converted to the earlier style however. 2250144 is a 1972 build, I think April. Does it still have the DOT/EPA sticker on passenger fender near the VIN plate?

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, all 73 US/NA market coupes had them in response to the DOT’s 2 1/2 mph impact requirements, including rear bumpers mounted on hoops. Many have converted to the earlier style however. 2250144 is a 1972 build, I think April. Does it still have the DOT/EPA sticker on passenger fender near the VIN plate?
Interesting Chris, my Coupe is 22 units earlier, and Julia tells me it was built April 1972.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Both were built on 4/25/72. It looks like BMW made a lot of manuals in March but mostly automatics in April for the US/NA market. As an extreme example, 2240185 was built 6/2/72, 2240187 4/6/72 eight weeks earlier.

Pinstripe inc.

Reaction score

Built April 26. It was delivered to Montreal May 3, eventually found its way to Otto’s in Ottawa. I’ll check for sticker.

Pinstripe inc.

Reaction score
Is vin 225 for canada? 224 is usa?

It could be. I bought mine from Otto’s in Ottawa, the first dealership in Canada (from 1969). Given the price at that time, I can’t imagine that many were sold. With a showroom for only 2 cars, the 3.0cs was Otto’s demo. It was the only one in Ottawa.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Built April 26. It was delivered to Montreal May 3, eventually found its way to Otto’s in Ottawa. I’ll check for sticker.
The importer took title, most likely at the port in Europe on May 3rd not in Montreal though. The Hoffman imports always show NY where he had his HQ even though they weren’t delivered there.

Pinstripe inc.

Reaction score
Canada and the US got the same coupes even though there were different importers. All got side markers, emissions equipment and eventually big bumpers. Many Canadian coupes have basketweave vinyl instead of leather, or no A/C but it is pretty common.

Mine came with basket weave vinyl and A/C (which was terrible).

Pinstripe inc.

Reaction score
The importer took title, most likely at the port in Europe on May 3rd not in Montreal though. The Hoffman imports always show NY where he had his HQ even though they weren’t delivered there.

Interesting. Started in’69, Otto’s in Ottawa was the first Canadian BMW dealer. Do you think it would still have shown Hoffman?