I NEED YOUR INPUT

capehorner

Reaction score
I HAVE OWNED THIS CAR SINCE 78. IT'S A 1970 E9, 2002002. I HAVE JUST HAD THE ENGINE REBUILT, CAR PAINTED AND YOU CAN SEE I HAVE NO GARAGE TO WORK IN...BUT IT'S COMING ALONG. THE ? IS..SHOULD I TAKE OUT THE DASH BEFORE I REDO THE INTERIOR. I AM MECHANICALLY INCLINED BUT DON'T HAVE THE MONEY YOU GUYS DO. I REALLY JUST WANT TO GET IT BACK ON THE ROAD AND DRIVE. ANYBODY LOCAL TO ORANGE, CA CARE TO COME BY AND GIVE ME SOME DIRECTION. I'LL SUPPLY THE BEER. HOW DO I PUT UP A PIC ON THIS SITE??

PIC'S ON PHOTOBUCKET.COM/CAPEHORNER

MATT BOWMAN

capehorner

Reaction score
I HAVE OWNED THIS CAR SINCE 78. IT'S A 1970 E9, 2002002. I HAVE JUST HAD THE ENGINE REBUILT, CAR PAINTED AND YOU CAN SEE I HAVE NO GARAGE TO WORK IN...BUT IT'S COMING ALONG. THE ? IS..SHOULD I TAKE OUT THE DASH BEFORE I REDO THE INTERIOR. I AM MECHANICALLY INCLINED BUT DON'T HAVE THE MONEY YOU GUYS DO. I REALLY JUST WANT TO GET IT BACK ON THE ROAD AND DRIVE. ANYBODY LOCAL TO ORANGE, CA CARE TO COME BY AND GIVE ME SOME DIRECTION. I'LL SUPPLY THE BEER. HOW DO I PUT UP A PIC ON THIS SITE??

MATT BOWMAN

D-jetronic

Reaction score
hello

seems complicated but in fact simple.

1/Go on photobucket.com and become member.
2/Transfer you photos from PC or USB to this count
3/Choose a photo and click on "share" then "Post to website"
4/Copy and apply the link in this forum message
5/don't forget to preview before submit

D-jetronic

Reaction score
hello

seems complicated but in fact simple.

1/Go on photobucket.com and become member.
2/Transfer you photos from PC or USB to this count
3/Choose a photo and click on "share" then "Post to website"
4/Copy and apply the link in this forum message
5/don't forget to preview before submit

jmackro

Reaction score
capehorner:

What model do you have again? I'm puzzled by: "1970 E9, 2002002".

If it is an E9, then there are a couple of articles on dash removal at: http://www.bmwcsregistry.org/Technical/index.html that you should read through.

I just did this job, and yes it is a b*tch. Removal isn't so bad, but reassembly is. I can't imagine doing it with the windshield in place.

When you say "redo the interior" what specificly are you planning to do? You don't need to pull the dash if you are re-upholstering the seats or replacing the carpets. But if you want to fix cracked dash vinyl or re-veneer the wood, then yes, it has to come out.

jmackro

Reaction score
capehorner:

What model do you have again? I'm puzzled by: "1970 E9, 2002002".

If it is an E9, then there are a couple of articles on dash removal at: http://www.bmwcsregistry.org/Technical/index.html that you should read through.

I just did this job, and yes it is a b*tch. Removal isn't so bad, but reassembly is. I can't imagine doing it with the windshield in place.

When you say "redo the interior" what specificly are you planning to do? You don't need to pull the dash if you are re-upholstering the seats or replacing the carpets. But if you want to fix cracked dash vinyl or re-veneer the wood, then yes, it has to come out.

Malc

Reaction score
Don't worry there are lot's of us out there with no money.... Even if we love the car!
If you take your time and are prepared to have a go yourself you can do stuff on a reasonable budget

Unlike the "honorable members of parliament" in the UK I have not been able to claim the rebuild of the dear old bucket on expenses!
Malc

Malc

Reaction score
Don't worry there are lot's of us out there with no money.... Even if we love the car!
If you take your time and are prepared to have a go yourself you can do stuff on a reasonable budget

Unlike the "honorable members of parliament" in the UK I have not been able to claim the rebuild of the dear old bucket on expenses!
Malc

chicane

Reaction score
capehorner said:

MATT BOWMAN

Is your caps lock broken? Why are you typing IN ALL CAPS?

chicane

Reaction score
capehorner said:

MATT BOWMAN

Is your caps lock broken? Why are you typing IN ALL CAPS?

nashvillecat

Reaction score
capehorner said:
PIC'S ON PHOTOBUCKET.COM/CAPEHORNER MATT BOWMAN

capehorner
[/url][/img]

capehorner
[/url][/img]

I have now seen some of your pictures and pasted them above. Hence this revised post.

From the pictures, it looks like you have most of the makings of a superlative E9. From the look of things, the only thing between you (the driver ) and your firewall that needs attention is your dash and, in particular, the dash cracks. It does spoil the look of your gorgeous body work. Since you have gone to so much effort with the rest of the car, with your patience, and since you apparently have the windshield removed, I might be inclined to pull the dash and replace it with a good used one if I could locate it.

Is this the only reason you wonder about pulling the dash or do you need to work on the wood or instruments too? If the dash cracks are your only concern and you are very impatient, you could still leave things alone - unless or until I had a better donor dash. The problem seems to be the severity and number of cracks as opposed to one or two. Again, I think your time might be better served by searching ebay, placing a WTB post on this board's classifieds, checking with BMWCCA classifieds or contact Coupeking or 2002AD or similar sources. Didn't I just see a post for an entire E9 in a junk yard?

Since you already have the windshield removed you have removed the biggest impediment to dash replacement. After the glass is back in, if I remember correctly, you need to find someone with fetus-size hands to get those fasteners.

If you are unable to locate a donor dash, how about trying the repair in place - Now? See: http://www.ehow.com/how_2077554_repair-cracks-dashboard.html http://www.automedia.com/Dash_Pad_Restoration/res20000718dp/1

Incidentally, there are outfits that advertise redoing a dash but I cannot personally recommend any. I would expect they would require you sending them the dash.

Going back to your own handiwork, there are the dash repair kits. http://www.superiorrestoration.com/ProductInfo~productid~DRK.html
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...93&zmam=73771597&zmas=4&zmac=78&zmap=ZX125493
I have heard some of the 911 folks discuss this although many of their dashes are covered in leather and talk is talk. I have also heard of folks fixing their own cracked dash boards with (believe it or not) body filler- a.k.a. "bondo" and then masking and painting. This is also something I have considered but not tried.

I doubt you will damage the top of the dash any more than the sun's work, so why not give it a shot? If worse comes to worse, you can always go this route: http://www.dashcover.com/dashcovers.html :roll:

hth

nashvillecat

Reaction score
capehorner said:
PIC'S ON PHOTOBUCKET.COM/CAPEHORNER MATT BOWMAN

capehorner
[/url][/img]

capehorner
[/url][/img]

I have now seen some of your pictures and pasted them above. Hence this revised post.

From the pictures, it looks like you have most of the makings of a superlative E9. From the look of things, the only thing between you (the driver ) and your firewall that needs attention is your dash and, in particular, the dash cracks. It does spoil the look of your gorgeous body work. Since you have gone to so much effort with the rest of the car, with your patience, and since you apparently have the windshield removed, I might be inclined to pull the dash and replace it with a good used one if I could locate it.

Is this the only reason you wonder about pulling the dash or do you need to work on the wood or instruments too? If the dash cracks are your only concern and you are very impatient, you could still leave things alone - unless or until I had a better donor dash. The problem seems to be the severity and number of cracks as opposed to one or two. Again, I think your time might be better served by searching ebay, placing a WTB post on this board's classifieds, checking with BMWCCA classifieds or contact Coupeking or 2002AD or similar sources. Didn't I just see a post for an entire E9 in a junk yard?

Since you already have the windshield removed you have removed the biggest impediment to dash replacement. After the glass is back in, if I remember correctly, you need to find someone with fetus-size hands to get those fasteners.

If you are unable to locate a donor dash, how about trying the repair in place - Now? See: http://www.ehow.com/how_2077554_repair-cracks-dashboard.html http://www.automedia.com/Dash_Pad_Restoration/res20000718dp/1

Incidentally, there are outfits that advertise redoing a dash but I cannot personally recommend any. I would expect they would require you sending them the dash.

Going back to your own handiwork, there are the dash repair kits. http://www.superiorrestoration.com/ProductInfo~productid~DRK.html
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...93&zmam=73771597&zmas=4&zmac=78&zmap=ZX125493
I have heard some of the 911 folks discuss this although many of their dashes are covered in leather and talk is talk. I have also heard of folks fixing their own cracked dash boards with (believe it or not) body filler- a.k.a. "bondo" and then masking and painting. This is also something I have considered but not tried.

I doubt you will damage the top of the dash any more than the sun's work, so why not give it a shot? If worse comes to worse, you can always go this route: http://www.dashcover.com/dashcovers.html :roll:

hth

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Malc said:

Malc

Good one Malc. How about them crooks serving time in your garage instead of the prison system?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Malc said:

Malc

Good one Malc. How about them crooks serving time in your garage instead of the prison system?