ignition lock barrel

TRIPPFONTAINE

Site Donor
Reaction score
take 2. I'm looking to get at the back of my ignition to resolder some loose wiring. Can't see how to pull apart the ignition lock barrel. Normally you can slot a small allen key into a groove like this <http> but on my ignition there is no groove appearing...
Anyone know how to do this? Should I be thinking of replacing the entire unit while I'm at it? Any opinions as to alternative. superior ways to go?

tochi

Reaction score
TRIPPFONTAINE said:
take 2. I'm looking to get at the back of my ignition to resolder some loose wiring. Can't see how to pull apart the ignition lock barrel.

Tripper, I am not completely sure what you are asking, but I have an idea. There is a small grub screw on the side of the barrel of the switch cylinder assembly. Locating it is the hard part . As I recall, it is on the side of the cylinder and it extends just slightly beyond the length of the cylinder farthest away from the wiring. I do not have a picture or a switch handy otherwise I would post a picture. I believe the screw is pictured in the Blue shop manual (steering section?). I wouldn't be surprised to find pictures in similar manuals and even for different vehicles e.g., 02, E24, E12. This may be more confusing, but if you picture a can of fosters where the wires attach at the bottom of the can. On the other end where you pop the lid on the side - just above the rim should be a tiny lip with the lock screw.

You may be right about using an allen/hex wrench, but I seem to recall using a jeweler's flat head screwdriver on mine.

Sorry I cannot be more articulate at this time since I am going on memory from 15+ years ago.

Good hunting!

TRIPPFONTAINE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Barry for the snap. Wonderful, I missed on my various attempts to get under there. And Tochi, thanks - and excellent Fosters' analogy - definitely can relate to that (though I'm more of a Guinness man!).