Ignition switch issues

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think I need to replace my ignition switch.

The past few years, it's been a little touchy, but usually will turn the engine over after turning the key a few times.

Presently, turning the key "all the way" to the start position yields nothing. No clicks from the starter, or any additional clues that are indicative of the engine trying to turn over.

My non BMW mechanic friend told me I would probably need to replace the ignition switch, so I started down that road today.

Following instructions from the Mobile traditions guide, I took off the lower steering wheel housing cover, in order to remove the ignition switch.

The MT instructions

http://www.e9-driven.com/Public/Library/BMW-E9Manual/pages/en/32320000.html#refertoc

reference removing a grub screw in order to take out the bottom section of the ignition switch.

I cannot seem to locate the "grub screw".

Please see attached photos.

I am working under 2 assumptions:

1. If the key action seems to be tight and key springs back from the start position, I shouldn't need to replace the key component.

2. The ignition switch is the rear section where the wires are connected and should be the source of the "disconnect".

I'd love to hear what other people have been through with this and if my assumptions are even close.

Attachments

• grubScrew.jpg
    grubScrew.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 238
  • NoGrubscrew.jpg
    NoGrubscrew.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 196

MMercury

Reaction score
Hello,

I can't see the grub screw in your color picture either, but I suspect it may have more to do with the angle of the shot. I believe the screw is obscured by the boss in your picture.

Study the first picture below. Assuming it to be an accurate depiction, find the lavender/purple wire as a reference and approximate the screw's location an 1" above the point where the wire meets the switch. In the second picture the screw is barely visible in the center of the photo. Follow what appears to be a white/blue wire, where the wire is bent at a right angle. Look carefully at the bend and the screw should be visible.

The other pictures are the switch still in the ignition lock. One picture reveals the electrical contacts and may be useful as a frame of reference.

For what its worth, this topic has been indirectly addressed several times: for example:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6947
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2840

Best of luck.

61321357380.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_6925.jpg

DSC_6926.jpg

DSC_7340.jpg

61porsche

Reaction score
Push hard on the brown bakelight where the wires end while turning the key and see if the E9 force is with you.

You're picture shows that the end of the switch is at an angle to can. It's staked in three places. That's all that holds the darn thing together. Common problem. You're lucky- heard of guys with parts on the floor.

Push it back in and stake it. I've done it in place, but for it to last another twenty years take it to the bench and do all three places. Mine's original.(Twice staked)