Improved AC airflow with 24 Volt blower fan

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

In the past, I've had to replace the squirrel cage blower fan on my AC console twice as the bearings have gone bad. Replacement fans are difficult to come by and this had me thinking about finding a replacement fan/motor. It turns out that fan assemblies the size of ours are used in tractors. Some are 12V, some are 24V.

I believe that for a optimally set up AC system, an increased volume of air across the evaporator will yield the most benefit. We can routinely get outlet air temperatures in the mid-30's, and in fact, even freeze the evaporator. Based on this, I set up to measure if there would be an improvement in using a 24 V fan, and investigate how to set it up.

Here's the Caterpillar 24 Volt blower fan. This version came with plastic fans but the Behr/Bosch metal fans can be retrofitted. The only modification needed to fit the assembly is to slide one of the plastic fans further inboard.
IMG_7812.JPG

IMG_7160.JPG

IMG_4803.JPG

You'll notice the fan has 4 wires. This is because it has built-in resistors to vary the speed. What this means is that we can ditch the problem-prone switch and go to a simple 3 speed fan switch as seen below, next to the original switch. This switch is easier to fit and one more weak link in the system is removed. The replacement switch is Four Seasons 35702

IMG_7815.JPG

In order to run the fan a step-up converter is necessary. These things have gotten very cheap, small and efficient in recent years. This is one is very small, >95% efficient and consumes under 10 milliamps when idle, which is negligible. Full specs here: https://www.daygreen.com/products/12v-to-24v-10a-240w-dc-dc-step-up-converter-voltage-regulator

IMG_7161.JPG

IMG_7162.JPG

So how much more air volume does it provide? I ran a test set up with a loaner evaporator box courtesy of Stevehose (thanks!) and measured wind speeds and given the air outlet area teh anemometer calculates the volume in CFM. The voltage was around 13.4 volts from a running (modern)vehicle alternator so current supply was not a limiting factor.

I found it most meaningful to measure the airflow into the unit, left and right. Interestingly, the air draw is not symmetric, it pulls more air from the right side.

The average measurement with the Bosch fan on the left side was 340 CFM and with the Cat, 390. On the right side, 367 CFM Bosch, Cat, 420. So an improvement of nearly 15%. Since this is air volume, I think it's pretty significant. An automotive HVAC expert on Quora claims 1,100-1,500 CFM is what modern auto ACs provide. Besides the improvement, it helps me lose the difficult-to-source Bosch fan and fan switch.

IMG_7141.JPG
IMG_7140.JPG

IMG_7144.JPG
IMG_7138.JPG

Blow is the stock wiring diagram for this section of the car and the modifications needed to incorporate this. I have not yet implemented this as I have zero desire to pull the console for a 3rd time but I see no reason why it wouldn't work, but please feel free to critique.

Essentially the 24V converter intercepts the 12V supply it feeds the new switch, which is wired with each of the speeds/colors coming from the fan motor. Each of the 3 ON positions on the switch also feeds a new 24V relay (with 87 and 87a [normally closed] output terminals) which then shuts down the heating system blower fan and sends 12V power to the thermostat switch and onwards to the AC compressor clutch and condenser fan relay.

Stock:
E9 AC schematic.jpg

Modified:
IMG_7917.JPG

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice work. On my setup with r134 I freeze the evaporator when running for long periods of time. You can hear the fan hit the ice that forms so in my case I don’t need more volume, I think.

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice work. On my setup with r134 I freeze the evaporator when running for long periods of time. You can hear the fan hit the ice that forms so in my case I don’t need more volume, I think.

Is your fan set on its fastest setting when this happens? Theoretically, if the evaporator froze it would be because there wasn’t enough airflow taking “cold” (and condensate) away from it?

Is more current going into the DC-DC converter than went into the original fan (implying a higher power output)? I know it’s not easy measuring DC current above 10 amps.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
David, it’s an e9, it is always on high!
Exactly! One more reason to lose the rheostat fan switch. No need for such low speeds. L,M,H is enough.

But in that case more airflow perhaps would help move all that ‘coldness’ from the evap to the rest of the car instead of freezing over.

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
David, it’s an e9, it is always on high!

I’m looking forward to full fan season. Summer is my playground.

Exactly! One more reason to lose the rheostat fan switch. No need for such low speeds. L,M,H is enough.

But in that case more airflow perhaps would help move all that ‘coldness’ from the evap to the rest of the car instead of freezing over.

I always wished there was a speed setting between the high and low ‘clicks’ on the original switches.

So does the newer blower sound like it’s going way faster? Does it have the same kind of whiny whistle that the stock blower does?

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Amazing Luis,
Wish I had know about this when I was putting my system back together. I did check the fan motor carefully and was able to get some oil in there.
Mine has frozen up but now have a pressure switch on dryer so it should cut the compressor on and off to prevent freezing.
You are so good about figuring out this stuff.
Saving this for the future.
Not wanting to take the console apart any time soon.
Hope you can come to the Vintage in Sept? Sure you saw the postponement.
Gary

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary, The pressure switch turns off the system when pressure drops from lack of refrigerant as a safety system.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
hey Luis, wondering if you can label your new 5-pin relay? E.g. 30, 87, 86, 87a, 85

relay.jpg

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is what I'm thinking:

87A - Normally closed circuit to the heater blower motor
87 - NOrmally open, but Closed going to the temp switch when relay is triggered (via when 86 is powered)
86 - Normally closed, but power goes through to the relay when AC fan is switched on
85 - ground
30 - Constant power, feeding power to the heater motor normally, until AC fan is switched on. Then it turns off power to the heater motor.

no?

relay.jpg

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is more current going into the DC-DC converter than went into the original fan (implying a higher power output)? I know it’s not easy measuring DC current above 10 amps.
Good questions but not relevant. The new motor isn't the same motor used for 12V that we are now feeding 24V into it. The physical and electrical characteristics of the 24V motor are different so therefore we can't draw any conclusions regarding its performance relative to the current consumption compared to the Bosch 12V. Still, adjacent to your question is the fact that the converter has a max output of 10 Amps @24V which translates to 20 Amps @12V and for sure the Bosch motor doesn't consume 20 Amps. So the converter has the ability to supply at least the same, but very likely, more power than the Bosch motor consumed. I'll get around to measuring it sometime soon.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Luis - where is the ground for the blower motor in your circuit?
Forgot to draw the little path to ground for the blower motor as I did for the 12-24 converter. The motor has a blue wire which is ground and would simply get grounded anywhere nearby that is convenient.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is what I'm thinking:

87A - Normally closed circuit to the heater blower motor
87 - NOrmally open, but Closed going to the temp switch when relay is triggered (via when 86 is powered)
86 - Normally closed, but power goes through to the relay when AC fan is switched on
85 - ground
30 - Constant power, feeding power to the heater motor normally, until AC fan is switched on. Then it turns off power to the heater motor.

no?

View attachment 116580
Ding, ding, ding! You got it. Attached is a pic of the relay with Bosch PN. Nuance: My high-tech drawing of the relay is not physically realistic as the coil would attract the hinged armature to itself when the coil is energized, not when it is normally open as it is shown on the diagram.

24 V relay.jpg

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I received a PM from a forum member who purchased a similar Cat 24V motor but didn't come with the built in resistors and hence has only a red and blue wire. I'll reply here for posterity. Two ways I can think to install such a motor.

One is to use the switch below that is equipped with resistors. Dimensionally, it looks to be the same small size as the one I used so the resistors might fit but that area is tight as I recall so careful measuring is called for plus ensuring no other wires, probes, etc. are impinging on it and causing shorts. Found all over the interwebs: https://tinyurl.com/blowerswitch

Rotary-Style-2601075-3-600x398.jpg
Rotary-Style-2601075-600x400.jpg

My second thing to try would be to identify a resistor pack that fits in the existing blower housing hole where the factory resistor fits. The hole might need to be modified. A quick search also yields many such resistor packs. I have no idea which one would fit. https://tinyurl.com/resistorpacks
For instance:

88RE49636-2.jpg

Hope that helps.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I received a PM from a forum member who purchased a similar Cat 24V motor but didn't come with the built in resistors and hence has only a red and blue wire.

THis may work, but don't know if the shaft is the right size to fit up the factory metal fans:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
THis may work, but don't know if the shaft is the right size to fit up the factory metal fans:

The shaft is not as much as a challenge as the motor diameter such that it fits within the Behr unit’s plastic cradle holding the motor.