Info on grey import from Germany

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi all,
Looking for some State side guidance on importing a German grey Markt (CSL Batmobile) into Maryland.
I sent/ sold a Bat to a friend in Maryland. He’s getting a lot of odd and conflicting info from the local authorities and I’m hoping someone who’s done this before could help shed some light. I suppose each state has its own rules and regulations.

Thanks
Keshav

ps.. Is there a website for Maryland defining the procedure?

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Keshav - To ensure a smooth delivery with minimum hiccups on such a rare beast, I'd enlist a known car customs broker from the Maryland area that can help with both the federal customs as well as the local hurdles. It's only a couple thousand dollars the last time i had inquired (arguably some time ago)...

I'd have the buyer connect with other well healed collectors/collection managers to see if they have a recommendation on who to use...

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
On the federal level, there is no issue. The car is exempt from Environmental Protection Agency rules and DOT rules.

If Maryland gives him a hard time, just register the car in Montana through an LLC. PM me for more info and a contact person in MT to facilitate.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
On the federal level, there is no issue. The car is exempt from Environmental Protection Agency rules and DOT rules.

If Maryland gives him a hard time, just register the car in Montana through an LLC. PM me for more info and a contact person in MT to facilitate.
I'd second this approach if he gets the least bit of run-around from the Maryland authorities. It's painless and there are several law firms that specialize in the service. I've used them for years. Happy to provide my contact as well...

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Keshav - try here: https://mva.maryland.gov/vehicles/Pages/registration/title-registration-info.aspx

From a quick view, it would appear that the inspection requirement is the hard part.
Many thanks…..have passed it on. They are asking for the German title to be translated into English…… I would have imagined they’ve seen these German titles in the past….the translation is a must and can only be done thru authorized (they provide a list) offices and a notary too.

Last edited:

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much. Looking at a 'brief that I have, translating key lines such as seller, VIN, etc. is pretty straight forward. Make sure the identification numbers are nice and clean. Baltimore is a huge port but you should get away pretty easily because all they want are the Customs/Border Protection, EPA and DOT releases that the shipper (who is normally a customs broker) will have taken care of. The little headaches will be at the State level. These guys make up their own rules so just be nice!

I am looking for an E36 Alpina B3.2. That is the era when Alpina just became a manufacturer and they would "X" out the BMW VIN and install their own. The German 'brief will say Alpina but the BMW badges are all over the car. How is that for fun!!??

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've heard about these Montana registrations, but then what story do you tell the cop if you get pulled over? I think it could be a slippery slope. (oh what a tangled web we weave...)

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've heard about these Montana registrations, but then what story do you tell the cop if you get pulled over? I think it could be a slippery slope. (oh what a tangled web we weave...)
I don't know.. When I get pulled over, they never ask. I've had cops behind me for miles and they just wave and say "nice car". Half the cars in Monterey during car week have Montana plates. 75% of the hotrodded 911s in the bay area have Montana plates.

I've gotten stopped for other things but never a plate...

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Agee...I don't think you'd be stopped for the plate. I would be concerned about a tail light out, or some other infraction....and when my driver's license and registration don't match I'd be hard pressed to come up with a believable story that couldn't be checked (but then I'm not too creative).

Also, what do you tell your insurance company?...

Last edited:

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
As a Brit with only a passing interest in this, what happens if you import your car to Montana, register in your llc and use it there , all is fine I assume! Then after a week you sell it to yourself in whichever state you are in, get local plates and play by the rules?

Is it easier to move the car from Montana to xx state then from Germany to xx state?

We don’t have these issues in the U.K., but no doubt some clever person will find a reason to make it hard for us in the future, perhaps BREXIT is that reason.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dick - The insurance companies are fine with it. My card reads my LLc. I have a copy of the LLc papers (2 pages) in the car. I've not had to use them or my collision insurance but I have a friend with uhmm let's say a propensity to speed. He's gotten multiple tickets and had multiple accidents and he's never had any insurance issues or gotten cited for the Montana reg. . Now his insurance is exorbitant but not because his cars are registered in Montana.

It's a non-issue.... To date at least.

Honolulu

Reaction score
Cornishman: reading extensive comments in the "Pitfalls" article, the success or failure of your proposed scheme will depend on the applicable motor vehicle registration AND insurance laws read in both states. Add to that the variety of insurance policy mandates, state laws governing insurance, and you'll find yourself swirling down a bottomless spiraling rat-hole of if-thens.

After all that, you'd have to have a good lawyer on your side, poor one for the insurance company, and a sympathetic judge. Not impossible, but not to be relied on, either.

Honolulu

Reaction score
As I told a doper acquaintance long ago: "Getting away with it doesn't make it right".
He had no response though I could see he was trying to choke up some smart-azz reply.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well if the choice is don't purchase a car you want, sell the car you have or register it in Montana, the great majority would go the Montana route. It's legal. Ethics? Sure, take your pick which flavor you want.

As far as taxes, I live in San Francisco. Enough said. I do see the point when we are talking about Veyrons or something equivalent. This is just an alternative route to someone who's heavily invested in both time and money with the restoration of a CSL IF it becomes problematic to register in their home state. I'd imagine we'd all go that route if faced with similar after investing a quarter of a million dollars (that's just a guess).

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'd imagine we'd all go that route if faced with similar after investing a quarter of a million dollars (that's just a guess).

Not I. I would not invest a quarter of a million dollars in a car...and THEN look for a quasi legal way to license it and hope I didn't get caught. But that's just me.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
90% of this whole business isn't about taxes but emissions and California not observing the federal 20/25 year exemption on gray market cars. A hypothetical guy who just wants to drive his collector car 1000 miles a year while half the State daily drives 17 MPG Range Rovers or some other SUV is going to legally do it. Judge him all you want. In a round about way, he would pay sales tax if California let him be able to.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Be careful out there…

The states are well aware of the Montana LLC scheme and many are actively trying to get the people who use it to pay state sales or use taxes. For example, the California Highway Patrol has a special website that people can use to report vehicles with Montana or other out-of-state plates. Other states reportedly have their inspectors who check out RV repair facilities look for vehicles with Montana plates. Some revenue-hungry states also check RV storage facilities for vehicles with such plates.

Drive with friends!