Instructions For Replacing CS Fenders

nimble_n_quick

Reaction score
Firstly, kudos on the initiative to make a DIY manual for this inevitable part of coupe ownership - even if one never takes this type of project on themselves, such a document (with pictures, no less!) can be very educational for a contract body man.

I agree with your approach, but also offer up that the fender CAN be saved if the removal process is thorough. Specifically, the factory used tack welds, butt-welds, and brazing for fender attachment. At the a-pillar connection point, they also used lead filler to smooth everything out.

I first removed the door (one can't access the jamb spot welds without doing so), and drilled out the spot welds:

DSC_0034.JPG

I also removed the spot welds on the support braces in the engine bay. These are also brazed to the fender, and in my project they were not salvageable. The points where they connect to the fender, however, were preserved by grinding away the brace from the fender.

I striped the paint (could be done before or after spot weld removal - I found more spot welds to drill out after stripping) to reveal the butt-weld seams:

DSC_0014.JPG

A-pillar, window sill, and rocker connection butt-weld seams were ground through with a cutoff wheel (taking care not to damage the underlying material). Seams hidden by lead filler (at a-pillar and window sill) were first exposed using heating (propane torch with rosebud tip) and a wire brush (to remove molten filler lead):

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

The butt-welds at the nose were cut with a body panel saw (this is a small reciprocating saw with a metal blade, similar to a jigsaw but more maneuverable). There are weld tabs on the bottom, and if you are careful these can be saved with some careful cutting - if preserved, this will likely make refitting easier. When all is done, the fender will lift off:

DSC_0037.JPG

I included my pictures for reference, and to build a more comprehensive publication. I have more if needed.

For reinstallation, a tig welder might make those butt-weld seams a bit prettier.

P.S. I kept the color scheme the same as yours for purely for cohesiveness, of course :-D!

m_thompson

Reaction score
nimble_n_quick, Your "before" pictures look like my "after" pictures.

My fenders were rusted through all along the top and sides, so I didn't think that they were worth saving. When I bought the fenders they were about $450 each. They are now $919, so adding your information on saving the fenders might be a good idea.

I am really amazed at the current BMW list prices for some of the pieces. The little extensions that hold the gasket in front of the heater air intake cost about $10 in 1985. They are now about $200. I am not sure how they justify that.

Is it OK if I include your pictures and information in the instructions as long as I give attribution to you?

nimble_n_quick

Reaction score
Of course you can use the pictures! Please let me know if you want more - I just picked the ones that I thought best illustrated the process we are attempting to describe and document.

Thanks again,

Ebin