Insurance in SoCal?

Haseeb

Reaction score
I come you you guys with a bit of a pickle, my sisters is currently living in SoCal and they are having a tough time financially there. One of them bought a 2002 Toyota Camry as a point A to B car to get to and from any potential job and to run errands, but insurance is more expensive there then they anticipated. We got a quote from Geico for 50 a month which was alright, but upon them discovering her lone speed ticket (I am amazed that those things stay on record for 5 YEARS) the price spiked to 80 a month. She can't afford that currently as she is searching for a job, and the catch-22 is that she probably needs a car to get to any potential job in the first place. Does anyone know of any cheaper insurance in the California? I'm talking it could be the lowest coverage possible...

On a side note, I firmly believe insurance in its current state is a massive scam, and idk why more people aren't irritated by this

jmackro

Reaction score
I firmly believe insurance in its current state is a massive scam, and idk why more people aren't irritated by this

I disagree. The California Insurance Commissioner (like all agencies in Sacramento) isn't what you would call pro-business. Given the number of uninsured motorists on the road here, the car insurance companies could well be losing money.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The coverage already sounds very reasonable to me. I am comparing it to our policy, which has bundling benefits of multiple cars, and homes on it. With all of the bundling advantage, I think it averages out to about $58 per month per car. Plus I suspect we are a lot older than your sister, which likely puts us in a lower insurance risk category (whether that is true or not I cannot comment).

Haseeb

Reaction score
I disagree. The California Insurance Commissioner (like all agencies in Sacramento) isn't what you would call pro-business. Given the number of uninsured motorists on the road here, the car insurance companies could well be losing money.
Forgive me for not knowing this, but you said uninsured motorists? It's possible to drive in cali without insurance? I am not familiar with the area being from jersey so I wouldn't know, over here insurance is mandatory :confused:

Haseeb

Reaction score
The coverage already sounds very reasonable to me. I am comparing it to our policy, which has bundling benefits of multiple cars, and homes on it. With all of the bundling advantage, I think it averages out to about $58 per month per car. Plus I suspect we are a lot older than your sister, which likely puts us in a lower insurance risk category (whether that is true or not I cannot comment).
She's 27! Much older than me but still a little on the young side :D