Interest in reproduction lamps for the E9?

BitterSC

Reaction score
Hi!

I have just signed up for this forum for a specific reason. I normally run a parts business for the Bitter SC but my local independent BMW shop has made me aware that E9 turn signals, rear lights and the panel between the tail lights are not available anymore. I have done reproductions for certain Bitter parts and when I heard about the E9 situation I took samples to the SEMA/AAPEX to see if those could be reproduced.

I have spoken to manufacturers and it is in fact possible to have them made. However, the investment I'd have to make is eye-watering. Let's say it would be the choice between making E9 lamps or buying a small house. Before I take that plunge I would need to know if there is enough interest for that in the E9 community. With lights and turn signals I am talking about housing, lense and gasket(s), the complete assembly, not just the lenses.

The lamps would come without Hella and BMW branding but with DOT and the European E numbers. The lenses for the turn signal would be the lower European profile. Of course they would have to be made in China as American or European manufacturers don't even touch such projects or if they do we are talking 5 houses.

The way the numbers work out would put the sales price of a pair of tail lights in the vicinity of $ 600.00, the pair of turn signals around $ 180.00 and the metal trim panel around $ 150.00. These are all preliminary numbers and I might be able to sell them at a lower price. This is a decision I can only make once I have all the numbers including import and shipping costs.

I would appreciate if I could get some feed back on this issue. For example are complete lights needed or is it more lenses and gaskets. Is the trim panel needed or can originals be restored to satisfactory condition. Or is there any other issue that I am overlooking.

Please have lots of opinions so I can make an informed decision whether or not to pull the trigger on this.

Thanks to everybody in advance,

Achim

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Only the lenses, not the frames or the entire package are tenaciously sourced by @Stan from Australia. I believe there is a solid market for quality and affordable frames & lenses as most by now are pitted. Stan is not making any money on his service and and I can't speak for him but I don't see your generous offer as competition, it may be a relief! Thank you for the offer to reproduce these and I for one would be interested in a set of frames & lenses.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree with Steve, I think there is a market for complete rear lights if they are well made, especially at that price.

BitterSC

Reaction score
Thank you, that sounds encouraging. Do we know how many E9s are left in the US? I would assume that people who restore their cars would be interested and to a lesser extent those whose cars are already restored.

The only thing I know is that there were apparently 30,000 total. My friend Gil Wesson from the Opel GT source (100,000 made, 70,000 came to the US) tells me he has successfully done this for the GT. I would think that the proportion of E9s who were saved is probably greater than of the GT because it is a higher end car.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@BitterSC
This is a super idea and the estimated price for a pair of new rear lights is good. Please do explore the possibilities which will be great news for the European community too.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you, that sounds encouraging. Do we know how many E9s are left in the US? I would assume that people who restore their cars would be interested and to a lesser extent those whose cars are already restored.

The only thing I know is that there were apparently 30,000 total. My friend Gil Wesson from the Opel GT source (100,000 made, 70,000 came to the US) tells me he has successfully done this for the GT. I would think that the proportion of E9s who were saved is probably greater than of the GT because it is a higher end car.

There were 3,724 coupes produced for the North American market. I have a spreadsheet that shows 25% of these still exist based on entries in our CS Registry and from BaT, eBay and other sites. In addition, there are 250 additional coupes that were in our predecessor paper Registry in the 80s/90s and many of these probably still exist, if all are included we would be around 33% of NA market production so maybe 1,200 coupes have survived. This does not include euro spec coupes brought to the US via the grey market however, let‘s round it up to 2,000 coupes which I think would be a generous estimate. I think we would find many more survivors here than in other markets but I could be wrong of course.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@BitterSC feel free to browse and follow this new thread, it's particularly timely!

BitterSC

Reaction score
Hi!

This is my website:

www.bitter-parts.com

Go to "Buy Parts" and you'll see the intake boot and turn signals that are not only Bitter SC but also Ferrari Mondial.

I am now in negotiations to have the coolant expansion tank and fuel sending unit in the tank reproduced as the Bitter/Monza/Senator parts have dried up in Germany. No new tanks available in Germany since around 2002 and I was panic-buying the last 7 sending units in the Opel dealer data base in 2015.

BitterSC

Reaction score
www.bitter-club.de

461 Coupes, 22 Convertibles, 5 Sedans of which one burned down around 2003.

200 stayed in Germany, 200 came to the US the rest was sold all over the world.

I have a customer base of around 140 but these are sometimes 4 owners of the same car. I started this in 1999. My guess is that probably 100 SCs might still exist but I would be surprised if more than 50 are in driving condition. Even my own are mostly projects that I took in before they got junked.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
But there are guys who buy Stan's lenses and have their light frames/housings re-chromed and they are done.
Chroming was about $300 for the pair. Lenses around $300 so if you made new for $600 then you would be very competitive to what others including me have paid for to get a "new" quality tail light.

BitterSC

Reaction score
Thank you for all these responses. I am not leaning definitely more to "yes" than "no". I'll try to find out how many cars are left in Germany and then decide.