Interior Question #2

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
What do people replace the gray, nylon material that is along the front seat tracks with. IMG_0870.jpg

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it is a vinyl and it's supposed to match to your carpet/seat colours. My tan leather interior had dark brown vinyl coverings; that looked original and still glued tight to me when I removed them. there were 4 pieces between each seat rails and the seat floor mount.
I don't know what seat/carpet colours your e9 has and what should be the right vinyl match.

Talking a wild guess, i'd say the gray material is an OEM vinyl.
Being an engineer and not a designer I refrain from commenting on what color seats/carpet it best matches to...

Erik.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Black interior, black/gray carpet. I am wondering if anyone has a source for this, I need to replace all of it.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I got a complete carpet set from KHM about 2 years ago, they supplied pieces of the black/grey carpet cut for those locations. All pieces of the carpet I ordered fit well.

Gary-

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I did plan to buy mine from KHM also. So you are saying not to bother hunting this stuff down?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bob,

I lifted this picture from another thread. Clearly shows the same as the rest of the carpet alongside the front seat tracks.

True, but the seat track platform is wrapped in a thin color matched vinyl. This is what the OP is asking about.

Photos courtesy of @Dan Mooney Underneath the blue Vinyl will be Fjord paint.
05D6E5F0-1868-4910-B740-96FD98239134.jpeg
6E1C3E79-27B5-4315-B74C-1AED88D3D057.jpeg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, what Markos is pointing out is what I am looking for. I guess it can be eliminated but to stay as true to original as possible is what my goal is.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is extremely thin and sticky adhesive backed vinyl. It doesn’t have a fabric backing.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, it is VERY thin (my original brown material below). When I replaced my carpet with a black kit from GAHH it had a black vinyl flap on the side pieces but it was too thick to lay up over and into the tracks so I trimmed it off and scabbed some pieces onto areas where the painted surface might be visible in the front and to Lucy in the backseat.

Key Biscayne-20150404-00659.jpg
IMG_5795.JPG
IMG_5800.JPG

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine had grey vinyl, S2 CSi. So when I replaced the carpets and had the seats recovered I removed the vinyl and clad the visible bits with the same leather as the seats. The less visible parts were carpeted as my kit had parts to cover them. If I did it again I would glue 1mm foam to the back to allow it to flex a little, this is what was done to the door cards, kick panels etc.
C

inovermyhead

Reaction score
When I got my KHM carpet set they sent a cut piece for the rear parcel shelf, so if you don’t use it you’ll have plenty of spare for filling the gaps around the seat base, and I hunted down some thin vinyl for the other areas.