Interior Refresh

corvair kid

Reaction score
Thought I'd post a little testimony to what a great resource and community this is.

A fellow forum member (viphoto) posted a while back about a blue '73 Bavaria interior he was selling out of a parts car. I wasn't interested in the whole thing, but let him know to ping me if he got to the point of breaking up the set. A couple of months later, I did hear from him; he still had the whole thing, but offered it to me at a price I couldn't refuse. He was close to my parents in San Diego County, so my dad went and picked everything up (coating the back of his Volvo in a generous layer of horsehair), and last weekend I went down and picked it up out of their garage. It's far from perfect, but it's a big improvement for my near-daily driven car and I'm so happy with it.

IMG_4092.JPG

The split rear headrest was replaced by a pristine one—even the chrome on the stanchions is nicer, and I might swap out the other one for the same reason.
IMG_4096.JPG

On the left is the passenger seat that's been in the car (with a matching driver seat) since I've had it. This is the earlier pattern, used on the 2500/2800 and '71 Bavaria. The Skai vinyl tells me they came out of a 2500 or Bavaria; in any event, the new seat design provides more lateral support and much more shoulder support, which is important to me since I'm tall. Plus, these seats have lost less stuffing than the old ones that were in my car (although my dad might not believe it!).
IMG_4123.JPG

Installation complete! The passenger seat went in without issue. The driver's seat was a bit of a bear to align correctly with the mounting points, but I worked it out. HUGE improvement in comfort, and I happen to think the horseshoe pattern looks a little classier, too.