Interior Resoration - Metal Panel Rust behind upholstery - how to proceed ?

neon

Site Donor
Reaction score
E9 Group - I began with my interior restoration by redoing the trim veneer, which so far has gone very well, not perfect but acceptable for a DIY. However on removing the rear wood tirm strip I noted a rusty panel behind the wood trim piece. In the photos, the lumpy appearance behind the vinyl unholstery is rust, and it is part of an interior panel. In general there is very little rust in this car otherwise. My question is how best to remove this panel and replace then is the part widely available. Or am I better off just going to an interior shop. Probably the best result would involve replacing the upholstery as well, something I probably could not do. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG-1515.jpg
    IMG-1515.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG-1514.jpg
    IMG-1514.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 138

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Can't see a picture; you went to the same school that I did about remembering to attach images:)..are you talking about the black panel that has vinyl on where you would rest your arm, and the wood slips in from the bottom? Should be screws under the grey felt stuff. (the reason there is rust, probably..) If its just surface crud, sand it some and coat it with POR 15, would be the easiest way. No need to go to bare metal, the stuff likes a little tooth to adhere to. I assume that the bumps are rust bubbles under the black paint. Or you can strip the paint, sand or blast/brush, prime, paint....If you seal well with POR 15, and have good rubber seals to keep mother nature out, they should last longer than either of us.

neon

Site Donor
Reaction score
E9 Group - I began with my interior restoration by redoing the trim veneer, which so far has gone very well, not perfect but acceptable for a DIY. However on removing the rear wood tirm strip I noted a rusty panel behind the wood trim piece. In the photos, the lumpy appearance behind the vinyl unholstery is rust, and it is part of an interior panel. In general there is very little rust in this car otherwise. My question is how best to remove this panel and replace then is the part widely available. Or am I better off just going to an interior shop. Probably the best result would involve replacing the upholstery as well, something I probably could not do. Thanks in advance
Sorry folks I did add the photos. Wondering how to take this apart, it appears to involve also removing the lower chrome window trim

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Are you referring to the chrome trim in your photo as rusty? It is riveted to the stamped steel section that the wood is fastened to.
That seems more difficult to repair than it is to find another one.
1635191418421.png

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Now I see what you mean by bumps..if you were going through customs, they'd have to open that up. That probably is rust that is at full blossom, behind the vinyl. Never seen that...I have a few sets, and all have a little oxidation, but you might want to start with a set that's a little better. Are the fronts in similar condition?

neon

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you referring to the chrome trim in your photo as rusty? It is riveted to the stamped steel section that the wood is fastened to.
That seems more difficult to repair than it is to find another one.
View attachment 129326
Thanks for your photos, despite that I first forgot to post mine ! It is the stamped steel support for the wood trim not the chrome trim . The second piece from the top in your photo Can you tell me how to go about disassembly to remove that piece from the door panel ?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
You have to pull the rear side panel (rear seat out=push down and pull out, armrest obvious) and you will see a few small screws holding it in place. Screws out and pull up.

Replacing that means removing the wood (screws under the felt), drilling out the rivets to remove the alum trim, then reupholster. None of this is hard, I learned on the fly. World Upholstery has the vinyl, Ebay has the thin foam underneath ( if that needs to go), own a rivet gun.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for your photos, despite that I first forgot to post mine ! It is the stamped steel support for the wood trim not the chrome trim . The second piece from the top in your photo Can you tell me how to go about disassembly to remove that piece from the door panel ?
What Bob said... Not to be confused with "what about bob".

neon

Site Donor
Reaction score
You have to pull the rear side panel (rear seat out=push down and pull out, armrest obvious) and you will see a few small screws holding it in place. Screws out and pull up.

Replacing that means removing the wood (screws under the felt), drilling out the rivets to remove the alum trim, then reupholster. None of this is hard, I learned on the fly. World Upholstery has the vinyl, Ebay has the thin foam underneath ( if that needs to go), own a rivet gun.
Thanks Bavbob for your explanation. Could you elaborate on removing the rear seat ? Do you apply downward pressure on one particular part of the seat ? Do you have to push hard and pull out simultaneously ? My back seat space is tight as the front seats do not hinge forward ( some sort of aftermarket seat on rails installed by PO) Thanks again

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just grip the back of the seat along the parcel tray and pull forward, then you'll have the upper sides exposed and you can then pull it towards the front and out. They are only held in by friction.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just grip the back of the seat along the parcel tray and pull forward, then you'll have the upper sides exposed and you can then pull it towards the front and out. They are only held in by friction.
Actually lift lower section of seat and pull forward as the upper part fits under a bracket and must move down a bit.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Basically the seat has a hole in its fiberglass behind the lumbar portion that hooks on a single "L" bracket of the car. In essence, kinda rotate the seat clockwise while leaning in from the side. All in all, combine Steve and Chris's explanation.

Of interest, I searched "Seats" under media and not a single photo of the back of the rear seats and how they are attached. Anyone in a position to add one???

Last edited:

Wladek

Reaction score
That is serious mess inside.
You need to disassemble first them from the body, then remove the wood, remove the felt & you will see all of the rivets that hold chrome parts, rivets are ca. 3mm (i was using 6mm drill, to not damage the trim & not to make larger holes, used almost no pressure). After middle aluminium & top chrome/brass trim will be removed you will be able to remove upholstery material.
Couple weeks ago i made full disassembly of my set.
After media blasting they look like this:
20211026_204826.jpg

neon

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice ... thank you for details. I will probabaly need to replace the part I am sure it has disintegrated from rust.

neon

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information !