Intermittent cutting out

Bwana

Reaction score
Still getting my "new to you '72" in order. I'm having a momentary cutout of power at about 1/4 throttle on the freeway (actually, most anywhere). Lasts a fraction of a second. Just an extremely brief stop of the engine function, I can't tell if it's fuel related or ignition related. I suspect it's ignition as, as I under stand the D-Jetronic's, they either work or they don't.

I mentioned it to my mechanic and he immediately suggested the ignition wires a a possible problem.

The wires appear to be new. I think the ignition still has points (not yet converted to Petronix. Where should I buy the Petronix?)

Anyway, any suggestions?

jmackro

Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about D-Jetronic, so can't advise you there.

Your problem could be ignition - something shorting or intermittant in the points or condensor. If so, a switch to Pertronix would address it. However, I'm not sure I would rush to do that, as points & condensor is just one of many possible causes for your symptoms.

Does it cut out under load, or at a certain rpm? Is it worse when it is damp (which suggests the cap and/or wires)?

LaJolla Independent sells Pertronix systems, and knows what model fits e9 distributors.

nashvillecat

Reaction score
I'm having a momentary cutout of power at about 1/4 throttle on the freeway (actually, most anywhere). Lasts a fraction of a second. Just an extremely brief stop of the engine function, I can't tell if it's fuel related or ignition related. I suspect it's ignition
The wires appear to be new. I think the ignition still has points (not yet converted to Petronix.
Anyway, any suggestions?

There are several posts touching on this subject.

The symptoms you describe could be either fuel or ignition related. It might be helpful if you provided a few details regarding mechanical condition.

If you have not already done so, go through the ignition system as though you were performing a tune up. This includes valve adjustment and checking for vacuum leaks. As with virtually any car of the era, you may find a loose wire, or points and timing that need adjustment, corrosion or wear on a rotor or distributor cap terminals. Ignition condenser, coil, and plugs should be examined (gap, heat range, condition) too. Even new plug wires can have loose terminals or insulation defects.

Assuming ignition seems tiptop, there are several things to check on the djet, not the least of which is the throttle position switch and the pressure sending unit. Wear on the TPS's circuit board can easily account for a cut out. See below. Not stating this is your problem, but you asked for suggestions. Another remote possibility is that your ignition switch or the connections at the fuse box are questionable and permit the so-called momentary cut-off.

"Symptoms associated with a defective throttle switch include a rich(smoky)idle and hesitation. An intermittent condition at cruise-which feels like you shut off the engine and immediately turned the key back on, can also be caused by the throttle switch." http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2879&page=2

3591294506_eef7c26bfa.jpg

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Pertronix can either be purchased at La Jolla Independent or ebay search. If you have a small case distributor its 1867A if its large case its 1868...to be sure call Carl at La Jolla. Dump the points and condensor after you figure out whats wrong with your system. Also, if you install pertronix do not go by the rec timing...I think you have to advance or place it under high rpm and when it starts skipping back off a little.
If you go by spec timing it won't work...at least it did not on my CSI. You can also talk to Carl or call Pertronix for advice.

abe