Is this a good buy? 1973 3.0CSL

yellowbullet

Reaction score
The car I am referring to is the one for sale by Dan Koturov (coupeguy). I'm not sure how long it's been listed on his website, but is this a good buy? He is asking $16K for a 1973 3.0CSiL, stripped to bare metal, comes complete with everything (including correct # engine, scheel seats, etc.) but everything also needs to be repaired/refinished. He said his local shop quoted him $8-10K for a complete body restoration.

I own 3 1974 3.0CSs myself but never got into CSLs, so I don't know if this is a good buy or not.

PS. Did all CSLs come with aluminum skin doors or were there some that came with regular steel doors?

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
csl reply

Jeez, Dan; It's so refreshing to see that someone on this board has a sense of humour. More power to you. To the individual interested in his car, it's a good deal, if it makes you happy. Sounds like a pretty good deal. Coupes are not an investment for your portfolio, only for your well being. Can you tell that I have more money in my car than its monetary value...

Malc

Reaction score
yellowbullet
PS. Did all CSLs come with aluminum skin doors or were there some that came with regular steel doors?
As per usual from the factory, some did some did not
The aluminium skins are very easily damaged so could of been replaced at sometime in it's life, however that does not detract from it

If it's stripped (rolling shell) then that makes life easier to repair, has the shell been fixed already?....

...Then it's like a big model airplane kit...

Glue part 1 to part 1a, paint before assembly!

Malc

yellowbullet

Reaction score
Malc said:
If it's stripped (rolling shell) then that makes life easier to repair, has the shell been fixed already?....

The shell hasn't been fixed yet, his body shop quoted him $8-10K in labour and I'm not even sure if that includeds paint.

I think it would be a lot easier for me if I just laid down the money for a running, mint condition CSL, because I'd only be a few grand from one anyway after rebuilding this one.

corsachili

Reaction score
It *always* makes more sense to buy a car already completed (rather than do one yourself). Having said that, a CSL which has been completely stripped is certainly something worth considering as there is no place for rust and rot to hide. Unless you've seen an E9 in her birthday clothes there's no way for sure to ever know what horrors lurk beneath that pretty paint.

Malc

Reaction score
Two ways of looking at this....
If it's quoted (different from an estimate) then at least you know the work has been done to your standards, plus you can keep an eye on progress. Oh and you can have it the colour you want!
putting the rest together is "easy"as all the hard, time consuming work has been done.

Can you put it together yourself? Have you got the time and space???

I suspect at the end of the day with a fully refurbished running gear (Engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension) your "bill" will be around the $20000 - $25000. Obviously cheaper if you have some stuff done already and or it doesn't need work.

Or.....

Spend the same money on the best one you can find, with all the usual rules applying to the purchase of 2nd hand cars......

Malc

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
[
That did inlcude paint, replacing front fenders (which i can supply) and patching the few other areas left. THERE IS NO STRUCTURAL RUST. I sent the figure 8-10k to be on the safe side, he really quoted me $6k, but he is very busy and might not get to it for quite some time. Besides, he has to do my 4355002 batmobile first!!!!!!!

quote="yellowbullet"]
Malc said:

The shell hasn't been fixed yet, his body shop quoted him $8-10K in labour and I'm not even sure if that includeds paint.

I think it would be a lot easier for me if I just laid down the money for a running, mint condition CSL, because I'd only be a few grand from one anyway after rebuilding this one.[/quote]