It's always fascinating to compare other manufacturers of the day to an E9

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A 1971 Lancia Fulvia:
Assuming BMW was first to the showroom, this Italian car side profile is very close to an E9 but they didn't quite get the proportions right....
1594407073862.png

jmackro

Reaction score
A 1971 Lancia Fulvia: this Italian car side profile is very close to an E9 but they didn't quite get the proportions right....

That Fulvia is sitting a bit high in the rear; it would look less awkward without the off-road springs!

From that side view, correct the stance, add a Hoffmeister kink and bumpers and the Fulvia would look like a baby e9 to me.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Lancia high rear ride is intentional, and trust me it does not impact handling.
Here is mine next to the E9. Proportions are a matter of opinion, I like lots of the Fulvia details including the concave rear window appearance.
A few aspects the Fulvia was ahead, like 5 speed and 4 wheel disc brakes in the late 60s.
On the engine check out how flat the power band is, 100HP with 1.3 liters.

I think the similarities are partially the times and partially the Italian influence...

Attachments

• compare.jpg
    compare.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 95
  • fulvia_dyno.jpg
    fulvia_dyno.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 95

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The Lancia high rear ride is intentional, and trust me it does not impact handling.
Here is mine next to the E9. Proportions are a matter of opinion, I like lots of the Fulvia details including the concave rear window appearance.
A few aspects the Fulvia was ahead, like 5 speed and 4 wheel disc brakes in the late 60s.
On the engine check out how flat the power band is, 100HP with 1.3 liters.

I think the similarities are partially the times and partially the Italian influence...
Thanks for sharing!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
None. The explanation from the experts follows: "An interesting side note about the Fulvia is that it is front-wheel drive but with none of the unwelcome torque steer that was common with that configuration until modern electronics. The reason for its straight, uneventful acceleration is the rarely seen equal-length drive shafts."

The Fulvia is front wheel drive... how’s the torque-steer?

Ed Z

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
We just re-watched the original Italian Job, I thought there was an E9 in one shot but with a closer look it is a Lancia