I've Got an e9 for sale

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If anyone is looking for a nice e9 to restore and drive I may have a good candidate at a reasonable price; This comes from a very knowledgeable BMW enthusiast who has over a dozen running classics and even more that are collecting pollen and in various stages of... whatever. Anyhow, this is a 4-speed big bumper carbed car that has had some top side fender seam work done and I have not had the opportunity to inspect it thoroughly. It has an awesome dash, wood is near perfect, but needs some interior attention. Nice console, etc. Price is 12K although as I said I have not inspected it.

If anyone is really interested I would be happy to do an inspection; the car is in Austin Texas and figure about 1K + - to have it shipped to an out of state location. I have no dog in this hunt, so I don't care if it sells except that the owner does not really want it and I think he would appreciate it going to a good home and I'd like to help him if I can.

Because I would have to tow it, start it, and spend half a day inspecting it I would ask for some $ just to cover my costs and a little time and depending on what I find I may suggest a lower price to the owner, but that would be bad news all around.

I can post pictures if anyone is really interested. And yes, I'll get the VIN too :)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you're a good guy Peter ... way to help save a coupe. out of curiosity, what color is it?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
RS, the color is Bronze?, not Ceylon, maybe Sienna? Kind of a dark metallic bronze?

I should be visiting the car on Wed. so I'll take pictures and post thoughts of my 15 minute inspection.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, I got some pictures and my initial impression is that this would make an awesome "leave alone" driver if someone were not into serious restoration. It has a bit of rust around the sunroof but that was all that I could see. The rockers seem pretty solid and the interior is stunning. The PO is also including a literally brand new set of Webers that he got at Ireland Eng. at a cost of 1K years ago. Conversely from what I can tell this car would make a great restoration candidate at the price.

A forum member did PM me regarding the car and the price would not change- ie not a bid up. It's 12K flat (which includes the new carbs) but I would have to add about $500 for towing it to my shop, inspecting it and getting her running, I think that's reasonable since I would spend at least half a day going through her and if I find any serious issues I would return it to the seller and lose all that work, so it's a crap shoot for me- I hope you all think that's fair?

I have no clue why it duplicated some of the pictures, and this car "is" "running"

If others are interested then please PM me- I hope this is the correct way to do this.

Peter
1974 3.0CS.jpg
1974 3.0CS1.jpg
1974 3.0CS3.jpg
1974 3.0CS4.jpg
1974 3.0CS5.jpg
1974 3.0CS6.jpg
1974 3.0CS8.jpg
1974 3.0CS9.jpg
1974 3.0CS1.jpg
1974 3.0CS3.jpg
1974 3.0CS4.jpg
1974 3.0CS5.jpg
1974 3.0CS6.jpg
1974 3.0CS8.jpg
1974 3.0CS9.jpg
1974 3.0CS9.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Score! What’s the bumper situation? It looks like a ‘74 but I don’t see the bumper accordians in that front fender pic.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not a score yet since I'm not buying it! Just offering it up in case one of our group wants it. It is a big bumper car, I think that's just the camera angle. I think it's a good deal for 12K, especially with the new carbs and it is a current "runner" with a 4 speed for possible future conversion.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not a score yet since I'm not buying it! Just offering it up in case one of our group wants it. It is a big bumper car, I think that's just the camera angle. I think it's a good deal for 12K, especially with the new carbs and it is a current "runner" with a 4 speed for possible future conversion.

Oh I meant score for the motivated e9 forum member. Thank you for your service!!!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Have you looked in the glove box area and fuse box area to see of any rust issues up in there?

Man, I wish I had the room; I'd definitely would snag it.

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
Appears I'm the lucky member. I've committed to the car at this point. Peter is going to do a full inspection on it in the next few weeks after the holiday passes. Anything that jumps out based on the pictures that I should be asking about? I think we all know Peter will give it a very close look. Very excited!

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Appears I'm the lucky member. I've committed to the car at this point. Peter is going to do a full inspection on it in the next few weeks after the holiday passes. Anything that jumps out based on the pictures that I should be asking about? I think we all know Peter will give it a very close look. Very excited!

Congrats! From the pictures and info at hand, it seems like this could be one of the best buys of 2017, I hope everything works out and without surprises!
Your first e9?

And kudos to Peter for doing this!

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
Fingers crossed. Peter is a GREAT guy! Yes, would be my first e9.... have been looking for a while now. Time to graduate from my e3 although it will be hard to say goodbye to it.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You guys are way too kind, without the forum and people answering my stupid questions I would be working on mavericks and pintos. Plus this is a great way for me to infect others with my illness- not that there aren't allot of other "infirm" members on the board. I definitely need to get out more.
And-
Speaking of illness, anyone catching the Dead & Co. in Dallas & Austin??

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes - Getting close!! I think Peter found a really good one. Even the brown is growing on me. I'm fully committed, just a matter of Peter finding the time to get it into his shop. I think his thread in the e3 forum will help tell that story better than me on where is time is currently going but I will announce, he does have it running!

I'll post more pics and an update when I can. Working on a time in January to head to Austin.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great update! There is definitely a shortage of restored Siennas if you decide to stick with the payment.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
The dash and wood do really look nice, that's a big savings right there.

I'm not a big fan of brown cars but Sienna looks incredible when the paint is fresh or in really good shape.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
The dash and wood do really look nice, that's a big savings right there.

I'm not a big fan of brown cars but Sienna looks incredible when the paint is fresh or in really good shape.

This. I hated the colour on mine until I flat sanded and restored the paintwork on one of the rear quarters.