"Just Jizz in my pants"

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
I don't see a problem with salvage title assuming what is stated is true. I would like to see more documentation of the restoration process and who it was done by. Venture to say if reserve will be met and what it is? From what I can see this car belongs to Ronp from this site. I am pretty sure he will be able to address any issues that come up. It looks like a nice car and as long as the repairs were done correctly and the damage not to great...I don't think I would worry about the salvage issues too much. This may not have been a car worth salvaging according to the insurance company in 1988....cheaper to pay for the problem to go away.
abe

Last edited:

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
A car will never be given a Salvage Title for a minimal damage accident as claimed, especially a high value car like this one.

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
A car will never be given a Salvage Title for a minimal damage accident as claimed, especially a high value car like this one.

Hi vallue car now...but was it in 1988? Good friend of mind walked away from a MB Gullwing in the late 1960s because they could not agree on a few hunder dollar differnence on a $6800 car!
abe

Last edited:

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi vallue car now...but was it in 1988? Good friend of mind walked away from a MB Gullwing in the late 1960s because they could not agree on a few hunder dollar differnence on a $6800 car!
abe

What was the amount of the damage on your friends car? I would guess in the few thousand dollar range if they could not agree on a few hundred dollars. Industry standard is if damage exceeds 70% of the retail value of the car. Also contrary to what people might believe the insurance company does not give you the option to salvage your car, it is up to their discretion. Now after they have determined your car to be a total loss and given a Salvage Title you as the owner have first rights to buy your car back, if not it will either be put up for auction or destroyed.

Now back to the CSL, I don't think at any point in the late 80's a CSL was only worth a couple of thousand dollars where a minimal accident would have caused the car to be considered a total loss. What I find most interesting is how this cars history is so well known yet not a single photo of the accident or a repair order is available.....makes you think, huh?

Last edited:

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Values

There was an article in the past Sunday New York Times about someone who sold a trainload of Bugattis for $600K. The prize cars of today were often relatively neglected in the past - I too would not worry necessarily about the salvage assuming all else is in order - looks very nice (I like the house as well - always a good idea to photograph your exotic in front of a nice place and not a house trailer - although the shots of the e9 near a factory posted recently were absolutely the best).

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
verde2002...my point was that a gullwing was only worth $6800 in those days and that for a few bucks difference he did not complete the deal. People are talking like this car in 1988 was worth $150k and questioning the salvage title. I am pointing out that back then there may not have been the interest in these cars that exist today.
abe

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
My father went into a scrap yard to get bits for our csl in the early eighties and saw three csls stacked on each other. Couple crashed but not nadly he said! The thought of it makes me cringe.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree with my friend Abe. Back then even a $5K repair to a $10K coupe was not practical and the insurer would total it. The owner might have bought it back for $2K (just a guess) and decided to hang onto it hoping it would appreciate over time and be worth more even with the salvage title. They have certainly appreciated but the salvage title will definitely scare buyers away. Perhaps selling out of state solves that issue though.

Chris

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Industry standard is 60% of wholesale value and then it is written off. A rear end tap on a Coupe can cost thousands to fix. As mentioned below it probably was close enough to the 60% marker.

RonP

Reaction score
What was the amount of the damage on your friends car? I would guess in the few thousand dollar range if they could not agree on a few hundred dollars. Industry standard is if damage exceeds 70% of the retail value of the car. Also contrary to what people might believe the insurance company does not give you the option to salvage your car, it is up to their discretion. Now after they have determined your car to be a total loss and given a Salvage Title you as the owner have first rights to buy your car back, if not it will either be put up for auction or destroyed.

Now back to the CSL, I don't think at any point in the late 80's a CSL was only worth a couple of thousand dollars where a minimal accident would have caused the car to be considered a total loss. What I find most interesting is how this cars history is so well known yet not a single photo of the accident or a repair order is available.....makes you think, huh?

This fella sounds and acts just like jrannman! Has anyone checked his IP address?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don't give the Ran that much credit, Verde was on this board a year before Ran ever showed up. But I have no doubt Ran will surface again in all due time!

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
This fella sounds and acts just like jrannman! Has anyone checked his IP address?

RonP,

As mentioned in my other thread you felt the need to comment on, chill out. It is just my opinion of what is being discussed. I am sorry we are not in agreement but this does not make you any more or less important in this forum. Check my IP?? What do you want to know about me and I will gladly supply the information to you. I am a E9 owner like most on this forum and express my thought from time to time on threads I find interest in. Do not make this personal. This is the second thread within the last few days you have made negative comments towards me.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
verde2002...my point was that a gullwing was only worth $6800 in those days and that for a few bucks difference he did not complete the deal. People are talking like this car in 1988 was worth $150k and questioning the salvage title. I am pointing out that back then there may not have been the interest in these cars that exist today.
abe

I do inderstand the point you are making and it is a valid one.