Key won't turn 2800cs

brettsul

Reaction score
Hi,
I've got an issue where my key won't turn in the ignition barrel. I've been recently having to wiggle the key a bit before it will turn - car starts fine once in ignition. However today, can't turn it - key goes all the way in - and have tried multiple keys. The steering wheel lock is on, although this problem was occurring before steering wheel lock kicked in. Is this an issue with the barrel? Or the ignition end where the barrel connects to?

I took off the steering wheel cover underneath and I see there are two rivet-like threads through a piece of metal - looks like a first stage steering lock. I assume I need to get those out to get to the barrel? Any tricks on getting those out?

Thanks

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

brettsul

Reaction score
Thank you, much appreciated - I did a bunch of searches but I didn't stumble on your pictorial gem. And I'm now adding the word 'clausor' to my vocabulary. Looks like I'm in for a fiddly job...thanks.

brettsul

Reaction score
Squirt a liberal amount of graphite/gun grease down it and work ya key in the barrel.
Mr Bump , your solution did the trick. Got to say I had my doubts and didn't even know what graphite powder was. That stuff worked in 5 minutes. Thank you!

mr bump

Reaction score
No probs brettsul, I had the same issue with my boot lock. With the locks being of a ball bearing drop type, they do stick, it's quiet a common problem. Go round all the locks with the gun spray, and you won't have that problem again mate.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
congratulations,
IMHO, when a mechanisms gets blocked it might be a good idea to check and clean instead of pouring something on top
BTW, oil spray is not advisable for key locks, much better to separate:
key locks = graphite powder
barrel and rest of mechanisms = oil spray if possible MoS2 (molibden disulphur)