Knot wheels and PPE!

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Been in and out of hospital the last few weeks and been unable to work on either the Golf or the E9.

Decided last night to try and start doing some work again, using a new knot wheel on a grinder to remove loose scale and rust. Wearing safety goggles of course, had a piece of wire decide to embed itself into my lip about an inch. Cue blood and swearing.

Wear full face masks when using these things guys, they're great for stripping things to bare metal but are dangerous if you're not careful!

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
brrr...not fun. Yes, those wire wheels can give dangerous flying needles…..even trough clothing.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Learnt that the hard way before, thought I had pins and needles in my leg, turns out it was just a bunch of knot wheel wires!

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great advice..even with a tiny brush wheel on my Dremel last week, two wires to the face...easy to get lazy (I am guilty...) when its a)warm/hot, and b)you also wear close-up glasses that want to steam up..appreciate the reminder!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had to buy a new plastic face mask for a latex paint stripping project. They are like $3 at HF.

It’s way overpriced but I bought a wagner paint eater for my painting project. It’s basically an orbital sander that accepts 3M abrasives. The RPM is less than half of a decent angle grinder, which is a good thing. I’ll need to find a use for it in the garage because I’m not touching a can of latex paint for at least 5 years! :D

Wladek

Reaction score
Knot wheels are pain - almost any time i use them one of my hands is scratched. I don't use gloves as this shit might wrap them, but glasses are mandatory.
Couple months ago i started to use different diameter Polycarbide Discs & found them as more efficient.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Knot wheels are pain - almost any time i use them one of my hands is scratched. I don't use gloves as this shit might wrap them, but glasses are mandatory.
Couple months ago i started to use different diameter Polycarbide Discs & found them as more efficient.

Yes scary stuff. I’ve wrapped gloves in a drill more than once. My “paint eater” takes polycarbide disks. I’ll have to try them on my car when the time comes.

Earlier this week I looked at a member’s car. It was hand sanded to shiny bare metal. I think it was the most impressive thing I saw in that shop.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes they are horrible, don't know how many I've wires I've pulled out of my body. If I have to put a knot wheel on my angle grinder I always use the cup version (if possible for the task) as they don't send the wires flying quite as hard as the regular discs, still dangerous, but more manageable.

milwaukee-power-sander-accessories-48-52-5040-64_1000.jpg