Kudos to you ?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
ok
as a non native english speaker i always find something that i do not know, so, here you are todays finding:

"First, it should be noted that “kudos” is not the plural form of “kudo”, so a “kudo” was once technically nothing. However, because so many people in the last century, mainly in the United States, have thought kudos was plural, in some dictionaries today “kudo” is considered a valid word meaning the same thing as kudos (yet another word created via back-formation).

To answer your question, kudos in English means:

1) Praise / Accolades

2) Credit for one’s achievements

The word “kudos” comes from the Greek κῦδος (kudos), meaning “glory” or “fame”. The “-os” ending in Greek typically indicates a singular noun and is supposed to be pronounced like “-ose”, rather than “-oze”, as many Americans usually pronounce it, “koo-doze”, or as a lot of British people tend to pronounce it “-oss”, “cue-doss”.

The word made its way into English around the late 18th century / early 19th century, meaning pretty much the same thing as it means today. The first documented instance of the “singular” word “kudo” didn’t pop up until 1926."

Bwana

Reaction score
Awesome information! I love this stuff. I've found non-English speakers are better at it than we are. We often ask our Japanese friend to check our grammer for reports.

Here's one seen on the side of a barn in central Texas: "S.M.R. Good Doughnuts" Any takers for the translation?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ok
as a non native english speaker i always find something that i do not know, so, here you are todays finding:

"First, it should be noted that “kudos” is not the plural form of “kudo”, so a “kudo” was once technically nothing. However, because so many people in the last century, mainly in the United States, have thought kudos was plural, in some dictionaries today “kudo” is considered a valid word meaning the same thing as kudos (yet another word created via back-formation).
I am glad to discover that I pronounce it correctly: koo-dose, and I was not aware of the reduction to kudo. So I have that going for me. Kudos to @deQuincey for sharing this info!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I argue that giving a singular kudo is almost an offense. It is like tipping somebody a single dollar. Be ready for the person returning your tip in anger.
You either give kudos or nothing.

Kudos DQ on your kudo research.

".. today “kudo” is considered a valid word meaning the same thing as kudos (yet another word created via back-formation).
"

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I argue that giving a singular kudo is almost an offense. It is like tipping somebody a single dollar. Be ready for the person returning your tip in anger.
You either give kudos or nothing.

Kudos DQ on your kudo research.
Untitled.png

Dohn

Reaction score
Awesome information! I love this stuff. I've found non-English speakers are better at it than we are. We often ask our Japanese friend to check our grammer for reports.

Here's one seen on the side of a barn in central Texas: "S.M.R. Good Doughnuts" Any takers for the translation?

Yes, them are good doughnuts. OSAR!