Leather work. Motorrad bmw R2 seat is completed

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
so my old bmw r2 seat was not that old, probably was renewed using fake leather

it looked good but it had some defects so i needed a replacement

you can buy these replacements at around 140 euro, fake leather again, and not the right shape

i wanted something more original

it has been around one month

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I can see myself trying to sew that for about 5 minutes, throw it in the trash and say, "nope, that's not possible" and walk away.
Wish I had the patience you have, very nice work!

thank you Robert, there is a way to do this and not stop, “quemar las naves” or burn the ships, it is said that great spanish conqueror Hernan Cortes, when facing enormous difficulties in mexico and all his crews wanted to go back to Spain, decided to burn the ships leaving them with the only possibility to conquer that land or die,

my point of no return was while making the templates, i had to dissasemble the pieces and so they broke in several places...conquer or...Drive seatless

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
a rough estimate:

this work is impossible to pay with normal mercantile criteria

materials:

Piece of Auto quality UV treated cow leather, 157x110x2.8mm € 100 (use € 40)
waxed twine, 1000m, € 20 (use € 10)
round brackets € 8
automatic awl, 35 pounds
gummed horse hair filler (900x600x20mm), 32 pounds (use € 20)
various shipping fees, 27 pounds (€ 32)
curved needles for leather, € 0.60
aluminum plate, € 5
stone cardboard, € 1

total materials: € 116.60

hours: approximately 100, learning ratio (0.65) = 65 hours at € 20 = € 1,300 (yes i said 20€/h, i know, i know,...)

What would a professional of 10 out of 10 charge you? € 500? machine-sewn I imagine, by hand dont think so

A seedy substitute for this seat sells for € 140 plus shipping on the internet,

....no future for poetry ...

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That seat will outlive you and the next two owners. Fine Corinthian leather too!! (You might not get that reference, google it!) Well done, locked up Artisan DQ.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That’s deeply impressive. How did you cut the knife for the perforations? Somewhat resembles a knife I had made to replicate unique crown molding in my house. I’ve seen a variety of pinwheels used for this and wondering why you rejected that? Not enough penetration? Again, congratulations on amazing work & discipline.

248ECC17-F012-4B29-AFB7-155CD9CF486F.jpeg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s deeply impressive. How did you cut the knife for the perforations? Somewhat resembles a knife I had made to replicate unique crown molding in my house. I’ve seen a variety of pinwheels used for this and wondering why you rejected that? Not enough penetration? Again, congratulations on amazing work & discipline.

View attachment 94417

could not buy a nice one on the internet during close down
so i made my own,
seems a knife cos is sharpened, but in fact it is a piece of steel
patience and tools did that
not concours, but, it worked !
thanks for your comment

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
here is an addition as to the materials used

i was very worried trying to find the proper materials, leather was easy, twine or cord was easy too, even the waxed version, but what about the horse hair that makes the cushion of the seat:

post pictures

obviously you can reuse the material that was there , but i wanted to find something new and fresh

thought about felt, foam,...none of them seemed a perfect solution, and then i found these guys:

Martin Fahy +44 (0)1522 685974 https://heritagecomponents.co.uk

and they had this material: ruberished hair:

that is the one that you can see in my picture, and the one that i used. (the brown one is the old stuff, green on the right is the new material)

despite being thick i considered that it was not stiff enough, so i doubled it, it is easy to work with it, if can be sewn and glued.

just in case: i wonder if anyone has a source of an alternative better material

thank you

regards

:attacke: