LED Headlights option

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
what i see is the color difference. incandescent is a lot more yellow than cold white LED (6500 k). i am not convinced that LED in a standard fitting for halogen bulbs is going to work well. halogen bulbs put out light in all directions and LED bulbs put out lights in a linear pattern from the source. which is going to hit the reflector and optics of the lens in a different way.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Optimize the halogen setup instead (wires, relays, better bulbs etc).
LED in a halogen reflector will never work as intended. Are you interested in the kit just for how it looks (6500k), or because you hope to see better at night?

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Often times for flashlight and bicycle headlight comparisons they will shine the lights down a dirt road or a field with objects placed ever far away in it. That way you can see which light actually illuminates the farthest out, and what the color representation looks like (more or less). I get the importance of beam formation, but the before and after slider for me mainly moves from not glarey (before) to glarey (after).

All that said, if you do get them I hope they work great. And please let us know if they do (or don't)! I'm certain that at some point this technology will be gotten right, maybe that time is now.

CSBM5

Reaction score
Optimize the halogen setup instead (wires, relays, better bulbs etc).

This reminds me of the old days with ridiculous lighting on the Bavaria. The Cibie 5 3/4" replacements were really nice especially the pencil beam high beam units which I placed 100W bulbs into. I then had the Cibie 95 driving lights with 100W bulbs below the bumper angled about 5 degrees left and right. I wired it up to a DPDT switch normally set to have the driving lights trigger on with the high beams. I also ended up doing a higher gauge custom wiring/fuse setup for the headlights eventually.

The combo of the four high beams plus the slightly angled driving lights was incredible for the time (~1980) when a typical sealed beam high beam was almost worthless if you were trying to see driving with it. My alternator would sing over the stereo system when the high beams and driving lights were on...never did try to suppress that.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think these are good options with positive reviews. They are projectors and the surrounding non-functional fluting is just to provide an OEM look. Close but not quite. FYI - lenses are not flat.

Install with some cutoff shots:

Not super helpful but highlights the look/feel

Redrumm3

Reaction score
I have been running H4-9003: GTR LIGHTING ULTRA 2 LED's in my E30 M3 with Hella H4 housings for sometime now. I have had no issues other than I had to install a Lighting Interface Module (also GTR) to keep the check panel from displaying the lights out. The lighting is far superior than traditional halogens and the lighting pattern appears the same. They are pricey, but worth the upgrade IMHO if you do any night driving.

https://lightwerkz.net/collections/gtr-lighting-ultra-2/products/h4-9003-gtr-lighting-ultra-2