LHD CSL in OZ

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
...interesting what's hiding downunder . Appears to be factory sunroof ( vin stamp on firewall looks genuine from photo I have seen ....non matching engine ) .

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What’s the VIN that you saw?
The very old discussion of csl with sunroof. Would be interesting to figure out what happened to this car.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is a link with some more detail and photos. Certainly an interesting car.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1578571359111267/permalink/1793537144281353/

C8C3CA18-ECE7-4934-8C64-F97869DC2140.jpeg EEDE0086-9A8C-4701-8352-CF2BA5F140AE.jpeg 0E95BEF7-C684-4F74-92F6-601FA0E89121.jpeg 6873FEF3-5EA1-489F-B0EA-8B8A017BD75D.jpeg A70C8F07-FD85-44E4-A6FD-FB4593BB174C.jpeg

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Kinda strange, reservoir on master cylinder plus normal one for clutch only? E3 motor, seller claims there are known CSLs with sunroof?

mbmw

Reaction score
Some more info:
vin 2275157 belonged to a Frank Baroudi (USA).
for sale ebay June/01,golf, steeldoors, sunroof ,el. rear windows, tinted window, bumpers, alu hood and trunk,
For sale Jan.04 (68k km)>pic.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems to certainly have some rare and desirable options.

That sunroof on a CSL if factory would make it extremely unique. I have never seen one before - would be a challenge to reinforce the lightweight roof metal in that area.

Also green tinted Sekurit glass was an expensive option and looks fantastic against Golf yellow.

Anyone know what country it was imported from prior to arriving in USA?

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Can add that this Golf CSL is one of the very few CSLs (4-5 LHD and 2-3 RHD cars) with a potential special order factory sunroof. The car was imported to USA in 1980. My guess would be from Germany. An interesting fact is that one of the other rare CSLs, with potential special order factory sunroof, is very close in VIN to this one. Also original in Golf and originally from Germany. Coincident?

In order to find out more details, I tried some long time ago to contact Frank Baroudi in the US, but without success.

Cheers
Henric

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This one is very interesting. If it really is sub $100K, it may be a good investment car for someone looking to do a restoration.

Boobouna

Reaction score
Can add that this Golf CSL is one of the very few CSLs (4-5 LHD and 2-3 RHD cars) with a potential special order factory sunroof. The car was imported to USA in 1980. My guess would be from Germany. An interesting fact is that one of the other rare CSLs, with potential special order factory sunroof, is very close in VIN to this one. Also original in Golf and originally from Germany. Coincident?

In order to find out more details, I tried some long time ago to contact Frank Baroudi in the US, but without success.

Cheers
Henric

Has this been verified by BMW? I read a lot of conflicting info on the CSL sunroofs but I was wondering has any of it been verified by BMW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
..this is a bit off topic , sorry ( not really ) but this "bird " is in the same auction as the csl ; these sorts of offerings may be pretty passé in the US , but pretty rare in OZ . There's a gazziolionaire here in Perth that displayed one recently and looks fabulous ( "light blue" from memory ) . I know sweet FA about these cars but how cool are they ?!!
https://www.shannons.com.au/auction...urne-autumn-classic-auction/E5HDE2MAP027QZ56/

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder...FWIW I think it’s looks could be improved by dropping it off the top of a tall building, there are a few good looking American cars but this is not one of them.

Just my two bobs worth ....

Cheers. John

gsshack

Reaction score
The street SuperBird was a homologation "special" to meet production requirements to race in NASCAR, as was it's sister the Dodge Charger Daytona, and Ford's Torino Talladega. These were all very short lived products due to NASCAR rule changes for the 1971 season. These are very rare vehicles today especially with the 426 Hemi engine as many more were produced with the 440 engine - less than 2K produced.