Lightweight early CSL on BaT

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ex-Henry Schmidt from BMW of San Francisco. Wrong engine. Ersatz Batmobile kit. Original block available. Originally golf and begging to be restored to correct original spec.

Auctioned publicly at Amelia I think in recent past.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Note the CSRegister decal on the fan cover. Wonder if this car was ever a member. Fun to watch.

Dirk

Reaction score
From the late Bill Young collection. He owned it for about 20 years.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This car just keeps making the rounds... someone needs to save it- major commitment to do it right, suppose that's why it's still the way it is.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This car just keeps making the rounds... someone needs to save it- major commitment to do it right, suppose that's why it's still the way it is.
New Buyer beware !!!!... or must have very very deep pockets to put this car right !!!

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
NMNA...

Missed that this was posted earlier. - In case you missed it too.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
well, its NOT really a Bat .... its apparently a CSL, but one of the first 169. which to me is very desirable ... however, it doesn't have its original engine in it, but the block is included. who is the colorado collector???

the good news is that it was originally golf - why isn't it still that color? it now has a b34, hopefully rebuilt with higher compression pistons.
shame that it has newer alpinas, not the original 5 hole wheels

overall, it is a nice looking car. what's it really worth? we shall see what the market will give up for it

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
interesting that it has a 2800cs tach. 6200 rpm.
do not like the speaker holes in the door panels. missing the CSL slider covers. very curious what carpet is under the cocomats - is it the real csl carpet?

many things look very good though

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
interesting that it has a 2800cs tach. 6200 rpm.
do not like the speaker holes in the door panels. missing the CSL slider covers. very curious what carpet is under the cocomats - is it the real csl carpet?

many things look very good though
I noticed the tach as well. The jury is out on whether the first 169 had seat rail covers, the Colorado one I drove does not have them.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think this Houston seller is fairly reasonable with some of their prices, but my WAG is RNM at $140k. Hopefully their storage has a good roof and drainage right now!

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
A lot depends whether that original block is useable, I would imagine. If it is and you can build a fresh, correct numbers matching engine, that would help a lot to justfiy the expense

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
A lot depends whether that original block is useable, I would imagine. If it is and you can build a fresh, correct numbers matching engine, that would help a lot to justfiy the expense

I kinda figured $10K for motor, $40k for paint, $4K alpina wheels, $3K alpina steering wheel. $3K struts, $5K for details. The car would need rebuilt original carbs and a lot of details. The interior looks glossy and weathered enough to appear original, also no headrests like the early cars. You could leave as-is IMO.

Also, the original trunk was drilled for a CSL duckbill, so some AL eluding is in order.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I saw the car at the SF BMW dealership, it appeared very solid but of course the devils in the details. It definitely deserves to be returned to its original form and if the chassis is as solid as it appears, I would think 75k would get it close to concour....but then what? It may be easier just driving and enjoying it as is and then figuring it out down the road. That's likely whats happened with the last few owners.

I do know that Henry was selling both the 25 Redman car and the Turbo car at Monterey in 19 so perhaps he has other plans for his money.