Logan's new shop

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For me having mechanics to work on my four BMWs (E9, E24, E36, E39 M5) is as important as parts availability.
I am fortunate to rely on SFDon for my E9 and E24, but also on Logan Saltzman for all four models.
Logan recently went from working at his place, or others shops, to operating his own garage in San Mateo. I met his two partners as well. My E24 was one of the first cars at the new shop.

A few examples of things Logan solved for me that no dealer or independent could, or wanted:
- Cost effectively fixing an M5 Vanos o-ring massive oil leak - Logan did that before he had a garage or a lift, just in his garage, heroic.
- Get my M5 to pass emissions (2 weeks ago), as you may know the E39 M5 owners live in fear of the carbon deposit emission curse that pretty much kills the car. Mine just passed after 20 months of living with a check engine light specter. Logan retrofitted my M5 display to the new larger size and added bluetooth to it.
- Sorted out many E24 issues, including a non-working cruise control that no-one could fix since 2003, an intermittent tachometer, engine cutting off due to ignition switch thermal fault, a broken door handle, tightened all drivetrain aspects, fixed intermittently fusebox problem in very clever way, and ruled out low oil pressure while hot.
- Logan has my 318i E36 working to perfection, though I have multiple young drivers for it, and just crossed 1/2 Million kilometers. The main enemy of that engine is overheating, and Logan has the car safely avoiding any such scenario so far.

I hear some folks had communications problems with Logan. In my experience, silence is a form of communications. Whether it is an HR person not getting back to your son after his interview, a girlfriend that won't return messages or calls, or customers/investors that go from interest to ghosting you. The reasons are multiple, but you know me, I am no position to ding anybody for communications problems.

And, yes ding is far more polite than crap on in my book.

Attachments

• Logan - 1.jpeg
    Logan - 1.jpeg
    425 KB · Views: 80

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It’s time for a Logan Saltzman story….

Many years ago I was offered a big beautiful building in a great neighborhood as my new shop. The owner of the building had a M6 with a blown up engine.
He offered “If you can fix my car- you can rent my building”.
A day later I accepted the offer and a week later the engine was reduced to parts so that I could show how earnest I was…..

The truth is that I had never worked on a M88 engine and I had no idea how to fix it and reassemble it. I found Logan and he knew his stuff. He fixed that engine and that car was awarded 2nd place at its first car show.

I have been in that building now going on 10 years.

Thank you Logan ……

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Arde @sfdon Good to know for our other than E9/E3/e24 needs. Is he a BMW only guy?
Yes and no. They are BMW guys but sometimes make exceptions.
SFDon saved my skin with the Lancia Fulvia and we jointly spent 13 hours to replace rotors and pads... Don did not charge me for that learning curve at all, he charged me 300 $ for 13 hours. That is who Don is.
Logan will help me install new Fulvia silent blocks...

skk

Site Donor
Reaction score
Arde: That sounds like a LOT of rust penetrant, air tools, and heat. Hope you used anti seize putting it all back.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes and no. They are BMW guys but sometimes make exceptions.
SFDon saved my skin with the Lancia Fulvia and we jointly spent 13 hours to replace rotors and pads... Don did not charge me for that learning curve at all, he charged me 300 $ for 13 hours. That is who Don is.
Logan will help me install new Fulvia silent blocks...
Good to know, thanks!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde: That sounds like a LOT of rust penetrant, air tools, and heat. Hope you used anti seize putting it all back.
Removing the hub took some major work, the rotor is part of the wheel hub!

Another mechanic tried with a spanner and almost hurt himself when it gave. He returned the car to me in anger.
Don eventually tried an electrical impact tool, and we saw rust falling and voila'.

Anti-seize: check it out https://photos.app.goo.gl/jC8oZEFJZappdxvE8

And Don did this knowing that if we failed he would have an immovable Fulvia blocking his garage!