Longest trip taken on your E9???

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Given that these cars are almost 40 years old...and there are few parts and not even BMW dealers know how to fix them...what is the longest trip you have taken or feel comfortable taking?
I am considering driving from Ventura,CA to Coos Bay,OR with several stops in between on the E9.
I will see how much courage I have this weekend when the decision to pick a car has to be made.
abe

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Abe,

Go for it, your coupe will make the trip even more enjoyable. This time of year the weather will be nice and you can drop all of the windows and just listen to the engine. My wife and I have taken the coupe to Carmel/Monterey several times and it has never skipped a beat.

Chris

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
1495 miles from Los Gatos to Canmore with no issues in November 2004. Since then several trips in the 1500 mi range from the prairies to the coast and back. One fuse blew.

Doug

steve in reno

Reaction score
In 2007 traveled from reno to Florence Oregon and back down the coast to SF. Ended up being a 1300 mile trip before it was over. And that was over the sierra's x 2.
Also, in 2008, traveled to Idaho for my sons wedding, another 1500 miles.
I have owned my cs for 27 years and it runs as well now as it ever has, and would leave in it for a cruise to anywhere. Just take the car cover.
The longest trip was Denver to San Diego, with a hang glider strapped to the roof, for my wedding. About 4k miles, best guess. Circa 1989.

The cs has plenty of luggage room and is very comfortable for a long drive.

steve in reno

Ry M

Reaction score
Went from Redding, CA to the Bay Area. No problem at all.

Just a couple weeks ago, went from Bay Area up to Thunderhill and back. No problem.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No joke. My usual cruising speed was 90 mph. The cabin space made for a very comfortable ride. Plenty of storage space in the trunk. I wrote about it for the New Hampshire chapter of the CCA. That was in 2002. It was a great trip.
Since then I have driven many much-shorter trips, usually about 100 to 200 miles at a time.
I keep some spare parts in the trunk with the "friends of BMW" book and have Hagerty insurance.

Orangener

Reaction score
In 2003 a friend an me made a trip through Austria, Italy and Switzerland with my Orange.
Vienna-Trieste-Venecia-Padua-Mantua-Parma-Genova-Como-Maloja-St.Moritz-Innsbruck-Salzburg-Vienna
More than 1500km in 5 days........and our camera died on the first day !
But with the car, no problems ! Temporarily under 10 liter/100km !

D B Couper

Reaction score
In the fall of 2008, my wife and I took a trip around Colorado on a rally called the Peak to Peak which was just over a thousand miles in four days. While it may not be the furthest any of you have driven, I'll bet it was the highest. We crossed the Continental Divide six times on passes from 8,300 feet above sea level to a high of 12,095 feet (3,886 meters) above sea level.

We were the oldest car on the rally, and one of only two from the '70's (the other was a '73 Ferrari 365 GT) and stayed right with the fairly quickly driven modern cars over the whole event. I was very pleased with the performance of the old girl! The coupe not my wife!

In the group of modern cars such as a Porsche GT 2, Aston Martin Vantage, a BMW Z8 and Corvette Z06,the only time I couldn't keep up was coming down Slumgullion Pass toward Lake City as my brakes began to fade and I had to slow down with the gears and keep a slower pace. I'd post a photo or two but don't know how to do so.

Ross

m_thompson

Reaction score
800 miles round trip from Boston to Rochester for the BMWCCA Oktoberfest. I had just rebuilt the engine & transmission, and replaced the exhaust, brakes and driver's side fender. I had not replaced the passenger side fender yet. On the way home it was raining very hard. We had to stuff towels into the rusty gaps above the glove compartment so my wife's feet would not get so wet. There are some restoration pictures here-> http://sites.google.com/site/mthompsonorg/Home/bmw/1972-3-0cs

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Drove my 2800CS from LA to Vancouver BC in 2002. Took the coast route on Highway 1 from around San Francisco to Olympia, WA. It is a spectacular drive, through the Redwoods in Northern California and then along the Oregon coast. Highly recommended.

The coupe ate up the highway, with zero problems along the way. Upgrades at the time included 5-speed, L-jet EFI, rear disc brakes, Carl's springs, upgraded swaybars and 15" wheels.

petert

Reaction score
trip

I drove between NYC and LA in 5 days. Only issue was an alternator problem that was looked at by a BMW dealer in Witchita, KS and kept an eye on the whole trip. Air conditioner stopped in Las Vegas, and then overheated in Willows, CA. All in all, no issues that could not be overcome. However, I did a thorough preflight check before embarking on this rally, so I would suggest you check it out very well beforehand.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Spain - Sweden -Spain (6000 km in a 3.0 CS-75)

With my Fjord 3.0 CS, I have driven between Alicante, southeast in Spain, to Öland in Sweden, several times. Some 3000 km one way (in 5 days). The car was usually loaded with four persons and luggage. Then 3000 km back to Alicante again. All in all, some 6000 km and no problems at all - but an Air Condition/Klimaanlage would have been nice.

Perfect car for European motorways - preferable during the summer season.

Cheers

D B Couper

Reaction score
Doug asked: Ross:

CS or CSi? Carbed or EFI?

Any shortness of breath at 12,000'? The car not you of course.

Our car is a stock mostly original 2800CS with over 150,000 miles and the standard Zenith carbs. We had no problems other than a notable lack of power to accelerate up the long grades. There was enough to carry speed uphill, it just took a long time to accumulate. And as for shortness of breath...both the car and I experienced it, but then I am much older than the car.

If I could post a photo or two I would do so, but I don't have a web photo account which is apparently required.

By the way, we bought the coupe in Newport Beach, CA and drove it home via Phoenix where we did the Copperstate Rally in a Lotus Elite. I then towed the Elite while my wife followed in the coupe. The only problem occurred after we had stopped for dinner in Santa Fe NM. Ann was getting chilly and attempted to turn on the heat, When we stopped in Las Vegas, NM for the night, the car was making an awful death rattle from down low on the front of the engine. I told her to shut it off and I'd check it in the morning light. The next day it sounded just as bad so we stopped at a local service garage where the fellow diagnosed it as a bad water pump. We left the car, went home to Denver ordered the water pump and had it sent to them to install. The mechanic said it didn't help. The car still sounded awful. So I went down there with a trailer and brought it home where a BMW factory mechanic friend came over after work to check it out. I started it and it sounded like marbles in a paint shaker. He said shut it off, I think I know what it is. He took a box cutter, cut the belt to the AC compressor and asked me to start it again. Silent and silky smooth. Ann had apparently turned on the AC switch and the compressor was bad. All we would have had to do was turn the darn switch off and kept on driving.

SO, now we have a spare water pump and a new rotary compressor that works great.Oh, and a story to chuckle over.

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
Just finished an 1100 mile drive from Las Vegas to Seattle this past weekend!

Drove up through the Great Basin on Highway 93, trading passes with an Indian Chief Motorcycle for the first 200 miles...

Crossed I-80 at Wells and continued into Twin Falls, Idaho then up scenic 93 until I hit Interstate 84...

Took Interstate 84 all the way through Boise, La Grande and Pendleton...

Then I headed up North on Interstate 82 through the Tri Cities and Yakima... Then up onto Interstate 90 through Ellensburg, Snoqualmie Pass and on into North Bend.

Did the trip in 18 hours straight with stops for gas along the way....

If your car is maintained properly, there should be NO reason you cannot take it cross country without a second thought. This car never missed a trick, ran cool, plenty of power, etc. I only wish it had cruise control! To top it off, the Blaupunkt picked up radio stations hundreds of miles away allowing me to enjoy music without the aid of an I-pod!

Fabulous drive and a heck of a great car!

Cad

jmackro

Reaction score
If your car is maintained properly, there should be NO reason you cannot take it cross country without a second thought.

I'll go along with that. #2270335 drove from the Bay Area to Iowa City, Iowa when we moved there in '95, and then back from the midwest to Orange County when our exile ended in 2000. Prior to that, it went from the Bay Area to Seattle for a temporary work assignment, and then back home. No problems on either drive. Of course, it was younger then - only 15 years old, and only 120,000 or so miles.

As a side note, my attempts to improve reliability resulted in its only breakdown. Coming home from Monterey last year, still 250 miles from home, the aftermarket solid-state voltage regulator went berserk, sending enough voltage to fry the electronic ignition and cook the Optima battery. Finished the trip on a flatbed (thank you AAA extended tow policy). Going back to a mechanical regulator and points got it running again. Of course, since I like to tempt fate, I subsequently installed an internally-regulated alternator and another Pertronix.

D B Couper

Reaction score
Photos..I hope?

I am loading a couple of photos from the 1,000 mike trip through the Colorado mountains in a previous post. If it works...

Attachments

• P2P 019.jpg
    P2P 019.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 142
  • P2P 022.jpg
    P2P 022.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 145