looking for a good E9 mechanic in northern NJ/NYC

Aloysius3

Reaction score
good morning all, recently purchased a 1972 3.0CS Alpina, and while it is in excellent shape, I would like to get a once over and check a few things (mainly brakes, but want an overall check up). also need a few adjustments (front hood does not easily open when lever released, need two people to do it easily, and need to install more modern seat belts and some little things. any recommendations on mechanics for such work? also might need someone for some minor interior wood work. thanks.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
You could call the Stable Ltd in Gladstone. Works on vintage stuff. I have bought cars from them, although not used their service.

I would get the brakes safe, and then at some point figure out all the other stuff you want done and drive up to see Mario at VSR in New Hampshire. All the fiddly stuff on your car and the wood, he does more than anyone in the east on e9s.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
while not a specific e9 guy, a very experienced BMW guy is Don Fields at mr m car - http://mrmcar.com
he is a fixture in the e30 m3 community and knows what he is doing. he is in Farmingdale, NJ not sure that is anywhere near where you are. i will echo the support of Mario at VSR

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Vintage Sports & Restoration (VSR)
70 Tirrell Hill Road, Bedford, NH 03110
603-228-2888

vsr1.com

Talk to either Chris or Mario Langsten.
Ian will most likely answer the phone.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
good morning all, recently purchased a 1972 3.0CS Alpina, and while it is in excellent shape, I would like to get a once over and check a few things (mainly brakes, but want an overall check up). also need a few adjustments (front hood does not easily open when lever released, need two people to do it easily, and need to install more modern seat belts and some little things. any recommendations on mechanics for such work? also might need someone for some minor interior wood work. thanks.
Please tell us a little more about your coupe and its history.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
One of the best mechanics for 1970-89’s BMW’s is Crotches Autobody in Annandale NJ (Rick Kiceniuk). Not really northern NJ. I used to drive out to him all the way from Momouth County. Otherwise I trust VSR-1 in New Hampshire.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score

They've worked on my coupe as well as other forum member(s).
Owner Sal is a good guy.

Aloysius3

Reaction score
Please tell us a little more about your coupe and its history.
Still sorting out much of the history myself, as all of the paperwork is German...best I can tell, I am the second owner...purchased it out of europe recently, has been a great purchase, though I am finding the hood is a little sticky (probably need two people to open it, one on the hood, one inside the car pulling the lever...oh, and the trunk is a little cranky/does not open easily. Runs great!