looking for one of these

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As I pulled my lower steering column housing off, I discovered only 3 of the 4 fasteners were present. Anyone have one of these available? The head shape is somewhat unique, though I am sure I can find a regular machine screw to replace it, it would be nicer to have the correct fastener. The threaded section is about 2 1/8" long (55mm). Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20180706-sc housing.jpg
    20180706-sc housing.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 269

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ya, we all seem to be missing at least one.
This is an amazing discovery. These fasteners are pretty large (relatively speaking). It is fascinating that these things have either fallen out or have been removed over the years and not all put back. Not sure it even matters if one is missing (or even two). The lower housing is pretty rigid, and you can't see the missing fasteners unless you are laying on the ground looking up at it. But that is a pretty large bolt to just toss in the bin as "spare parts". :D

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is called a fillister head screw, or more casually, a cheese head screw. McMaster usually has just what you need but in this case, they only come close.
Theirs has as a slightly rounded head and are only 50 or 60mm in length and it's in stainless steel. You could trim them and replace all four so they would match.
You might be able to find just the right one at your local hardware jobber (not Home Depot).

McMaster cheese head slotted screw 91460a321p1-b01-digitall.png

Ah, looking further afield I found the exact screw in Stainless Steel. There are actually several grades and colors available.
It's in the UK though. Since several people seem to be missing one or more, maybe a box buy would be helpful to many US owners.

Accu.co.uk m6 cheese head screw SFE-A2_lg.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is called a fillister head screw, or more casually, a cheese head screw. McMaster usually has just what you need but in this case, they only come close.
Theirs has as a slightly rounded head and are only 50 or 60mm in length and it's in stainless steel. You could trim them and replace all four so they would match.
You might be able to find just the right one at your local hardware jobber (not Home Depot).

View attachment 48948

Ah, looking further afield I found the exact screw in Stainless Steel. There are actually several grades and colors available.
It's in the UK though. Since several people seem to be missing one or more, maybe a box buy would be helpful to many US owners.

View attachment 48949
Thanks Ian!!! That looks perfect. I just ordered their minimum quantity (13). With shipping it comes out to about $1 per screw, which when compared to the prices at Fastenal, is remarkably reasonable. If they are a good fit, I'd be happy to send the ones I don't use to others that need them.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Funny, when I lived in Chicago we called one night stands up in Madison or Milwaukee a casual cheese head screw...
I am from Chicago, born, raised, and started my career there. We moved up to Wisconsin about 12 years ago - land of the cheese heads. They call us FIBS and/or FISH (F'g Illinois Bastards or F'g Illinois $#!t Heads). In my youth, I recall visiting the Wisconsin bar scene occasionally... It was casual. :oops:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am from Chicago, born, raised, and started my career there. We moved up to Wisconsin about 12 years ago - land of the cheese heads. They call us FIBS and/or FISH (F'g Illinois Bastards or F'g Illinois $#!t Heads). In my youth, I recall visiting the Wisconsin bar scene occasionally... It was casual. :oops:

I like spot in the woods near castle rock. they have an hourly meat and cheese raffle. :D

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Funny, when I lived in Chicago we called one night stands up in Madison or Milwaukee a casual cheese head screw...

Funny- my sister lives in Madison. Loves guys from Chicago and works at the meat and cheese raffle place in the woods.
What a coincidence.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
7043D667-EECC-4E40-BC9D-83AE57D78CC5.jpeg
With the old part superseded, I buy the new part and give it some grinding at the bench. Ends up being the part they should have made in the beginning...

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Would it be pretty easy to pop it in a small lathe and shape the head up a bit? I like the uniqueness of the cheese head...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello all:
As mentioned above, I ordered several of the SS Fillister head screws as @mulberryworks located. These are M6 x 55mm, and as you can see from the photos, pretty much an exact match for the originals save for the fact that they are SS instead of yellow zinc plated. They do fit a teeny, tiny bit loose in the threads. Not sure if it is because they are not plated, or if they don't have 45 years of gunk on them. But they fit well, and thread in nicely.

I have (8) of these available to those who need them. Happy to send to anyone in need. Just let me know. Thanks!
20180802-SS fillisters-01.jpg
20180802-SS fillisters-02.jpg
20180802-SS fillisters-03.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It is interesting that they appear different side by side. I continue to be amazed at buying stuff that supposedly has the same specification as something I have and can measure, and finding dimensional differences.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stephen,

i do need a couple. let me know how much to send to you including shipping and i'll get a paypal right out to ya.
thanks
scott

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is interesting that they appear different side by side. I continue to be amazed at buying stuff that supposedly has the same specification as something I have and can measure, and finding dimensional differences.
I agree that with machine tolerances, any variation is surprising. But, they are both 55mm long, and both thread into M6 threads. Both have a fillister style head, and both use a flat blade screwdriver. Aside from the advertised material difference (SS versus plated steel), how much closer should they be especially given 45 years and different sources? Just playing devil's advocate... :)

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I agree that with machine tolerances, any variation is surprising. But, they are both 55mm long, and both thread into M6 threads. Both have a fillister style head, and both use a flat blade screwdriver. Aside from the advertised material difference (SS versus plated steel), how much closer should they be especially given 45 years and different sources? Just playing devil's advocate... :)

In part I was responding to your comment that they feel a "teeny" bit loose. Then I looked at the pictures and they appear to be just a little bit smaller. Serviceable, for sure, but the difference just seems odd. This probably has something to do with growing up around a bunch of persnickety German trades people in Milwaukee!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In part I was responding to your comment that they feel a "teeny" bit loose. Then I looked at the pictures and they appear to be just a little bit smaller. Serviceable, for sure, but the difference just seems odd. This probably has something to do with growing up around a bunch of persnickety German trades people in Milwaukee!
Well, I have to agree with you 100% regarding the "teeny bit loose" effect. I would have expected the thread fitment to be a little more snug. Of course, my test method could have used some advancement. I hand threaded the original in 5 turns, and the wiggled it back and forth. Then did the same for the new one. Original one wiggled a tiny bit, the new one wiggled a bit more. How persnickety is that? :D