Lorelei will be available for purchase

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have decided I'll be selling my car - Lorelei in the not too distant future. LOTS of info, driven ~15K miles in the past 35 years, while ~$80K was spent on restoration, modification and upgrades. Records date back to purchase by 2nd owner in 1977 (1st user/driver was a lessee). A few pix are attached. Any detailed info anyone wants can be obtained by sending me a 'conversation' post with direct email. I have a summary of the cars history and LOTS of detail pictures. The car body was last addressed in 1994 during the mods to give it a 'euro' appearance, and is still essentially as rust free as an e9 could possibly be that has not been in a hermetically sealed bubble.. The car has probably been driven less that 500 miles since the odometer stopped recording mileage at 75,233, (and, that is the first time around for these numbers!). Less than 16K total miles since the 3.8+ FI engine was installed, along with a rebuilt 265/6 transmission.

As you can imagine, it's not going to be sold 'cheap'!!

I haven't decided what venue to use for sale, maybe BAT, maybe Hemmings or another 'classic' type site. But, I thought I'd make it known so e9 Forum members (or their friends/contacts) who might be interested could have first dibs. I really want an enthusiast to be the next caretaker.

Gary

Attachments

• 3.0 CS sale pix 102.JPG
    3.0 CS sale pix 102.JPG
    392.4 KB · Views: 584
  • 3.0 CS sale pix 108.JPG
    3.0 CS sale pix 108.JPG
    404.5 KB · Views: 574
  • 3.0 CS sale pix 105.JPG
    3.0 CS sale pix 105.JPG
    514.2 KB · Views: 574
  • 3.0 CS sale pix 020.JPG
    3.0 CS sale pix 020.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seriously, what a beautiful car, sorry to see that she's on the market, best of luck with the sale!

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow Gary. Sorry to see you sell. I’m sure it was not easy to come to this conclusion.

Stay close to the forum. You’ve been a tremendous asset to us and I’d hate to see you go.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
TobyT - I obviously do not know the exact value - only buyers can determine that. Since it is never going to be a 100 point car, it is not for the garage queen collector who will not drive the car. This car, with engine, trans/diff etc. is meant to be both driven and shown. I feel that the 'fair price' for both buyer and seller is probably in the 80's range. What do all you knowledgeable people here think - too high, too low, about right??? Yep, that old Goldilocks question.

Love to have any and all comments (if you don't want to do so publicly, please send me a 'conversation' post).

Ski coach - Thank you. That is about the highest compliment I think I could get.

Cheers,

Gary-

Last edited:

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Really great looking coupe; great color combo. You've been one of the good guys on the board, and we have benefited from your input; thanks. Best of luck with the sale.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not much to nit pick. Just needs tons of photos, especially underneath. And videos.

Maybe change out the washer reservoir to the correct one? Only $70. Not too keen on the fog lights. I might ditch those.

Also, if you have a spare, a 5-bar grille?

Other than that, she should have no problem getting to $85k.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
GLWS Gary... strange you sell the E9 but up to you , it's your car !

PS not for me, to nice to rally abuse :D

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow - HBChris's comment along with Ski coach - both Lorelei and I are truly flattered. Both are truly e9 gurus with great cars and great reputations in this community. THANKS GUYS.

Re: the kidney grille. Yes, I have a perfect 5 bar with the Al/chrome bars. I like the black bars better on the car, however.

I have about 150 pictures with a lot of detail shots, and several pages of summary regarding it's provenance, reputation of shops that did the physical and mechanical work on it for the 3rd owner, and a few pages documenting the work I've done on it. The documents that came with it verify that the mileage when I purchased it was truly <75,500 miles, and that only about 6K miles have been driven since the 3.8 FI engine and rebuilt 265/6 trans were installed.

Currently under consideration by a couple of forum members, if they decide it is beyond their reach, I think I'll submit it to BAT.

I really appreciate the PM comments about value, and welcome more.

Cheers

Gary

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary, i am in complete agreement with Chris ... don't change a thing. i think BaT would be a great option for the sale of this coupe. personally, i wouldn't take less than 85k ... it could sell for above 100k on BaT as the color combination with the quality of condition could easily take it there.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary, i am in complete agreement with Chris ... don't change a thing. i think BaT would be a great option for the sale of this coupe. personally, i wouldn't take less than 85k ... it could sell for above 100k on BaT as the color combination with the quality of condition could easily take it there.
As Michael Kinsley wrote about Farrah Fawcett, the girl on the poster in every teengage boy's bedroom and a glorious wet dream,

"Don't change a hair for me."

North of $100k, take nothing less.

Steve

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gary -- I'm sorry to see you selling your car, but all things have seasons and seasons come to an end. I hope you get top dollar.

For those who haven't seen her, Lorelei is a stunning car, and with the Metric Mechanic engine, quite unique. Gary is meticulous about caring for his vehicles, and about the parts he uses to do so.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris,

Yes - all things have seasons, and my serious health issue a couple of years ago emphasized the season of "mortality". I had things I wanted to get done to Lorelei, and those are completed. Shortly after I bought this car and was looking for parts to make it like I wanted it to be, I dealt with a woman whose husband had died recently and she was trying to dispose of the 'toys' he'd left behind in his car hobby. I concluded during this past year that I don't want Kitty to have to be concerned with THAT issue! This isn't meant to be 'morbid', but realistic! - ha.

Cheers, and thanks for all your support and interactions.

Gary