Low oil pressure on my m30B35

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I just got the carbureted M30B35 installed in my Bav this weekend, it started on the first crank, purred like a kitten, but the oil pressure was very low, only about 5#. I installed an E28 pan, pump and pickup to fit the chassis. I'm using 10w30 oil. I'm going to pull the pan next week and would appreciate any advice as to what to look for.

61porsche

Reaction score
Mike,

Change to a thicker oil. 20-50 or such. Did you leave the B35 oil filter adapter on or changed to a bottom mount? They are different.

Oil prssure relief valve stuck open?

61porsche

Reaction score
Take it off and closely examine the ports/ flange. Maybe full bypass.

It's likely that you have to use the B35 housing.

echappe

Reaction score
the oil filter attachment point on the later engine is different, there is a tapped hole on the left side that needs an allen screw in it as well as the different gasket.
Ernest

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Mike,
I could not find this thread. I searched using Low oil pressure and never found it.
Anyhow glad you figured out the low pressure. Common M30 problem.
Just so you can have the complete story here is a link to a discussion on myE28.com.
There is a lot of info on this site about M30 motors so if you ever have a problem or want to understand more then try this place.
Hopefully the search engine works better than this damn thing.

Happy Turkey.
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=81955&p=1459307#p1459307

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Mike,
I could not find this thread. I searched using Low oil pressure and never found it.
Just so you can have the complete story here is a link to a discussion on myE28.com.
There is a lot of info on this site about M30 motors so if you ever have a problem or want to understand more then try this place.

Happy Turkey.

This particular problem was caused by the hole on the later block that goes directly back to the crankcase. I plugged the one in my most recent B35 motor with a common 1/8 pipe plug. It works like a champ. My other oil-related problem was the lack of a check valve in the system, which I remedied by finding an oil filter housing with a check valve.

Rek

Reaction score
Mike,

Happy Turkey.
I have this issue, so use Google to search which invariably brings me to the thread on this forum. We cannot expect a forum to have a search function like a billion dollar company, use the billion dollar company's one.