LSD / both wheels spin the same direction ?

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had my car on a lift and was checking it out yesterday. I was really nervous because I knew that my car had spent some time on the East Coast. From what I could see it looked pretty good with only a few small 1980's type rust repairs and of course the exhaust is pitted.

P.S. I turned the driveshaft and both wheels spun the same direction. On an E9 does this mean that the diff is limited slip ? I know it does on American cars.

Any feedback is much appreciated......

Johnny

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Smart people test by holding one wheel whilst the other wheel is turned.

Wladek

Reaction score
Smart people test by holding one wheel whilst the other wheel is turned.
Agree, because sometimes open diff might also stuck (burned oil/ some metal friction/ not used for a long period of time). Additional hands lever on wheel from the other side will do the job in confirmation if it's lsd.

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just tested the rear diff. Held one -turned one forward - both go forward.

Thanks everybody for the info !

Also, I am still on the hunt for info on the history of this car. I have a big binder full of paperwork and I study it when time permits. Pretty good history of the car, manuals for flofit seats and radio, lots of letters old catalogs, receipts, price sheets etc.

This is in there from 1986, this is the only link I have to Gene Wilder being the original owner at this point......a flimsy reed. DSC_5707.JPG

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Also, I am still on the hunt for info on the history of this car. I have a big binder full of paperwork and I study it when time permits. Pretty good history of the car, manuals for flofit seats and radio, lots of letters old catalogs, receipts, price sheets etc.

This is in there from 1986, this is the only link I have to Gene Wilder being the original owner at this point......a flimsy reed.View attachment 69497
Some of those names are vaguely familiar from the CS Registry. Try looking there. Great you have an archive so complete. Few do.

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am trying to join the registry, but it seems that its not sending the confirmation email ?
Got it ...just needed patients

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

This is in there from 1986, this is the only link I have to Gene Wilder being the original owner at this point......a flimsy reed.View attachment 69497

Charles Kenney registered this coupe in the old paper Registry and was in Washington D.C., that is all I could find. Please edit the build date in the Registry, you entered 2019. Send an e-mail to [email protected] for your build date, most likely June 1972.

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just found my email from Julia at the archive. My build date is June 19th 1972 / delivered june 27th to Hoffman Motors.

Did Hoffman Motors sell directly to customers or to Dealerships who then sold to customers ??

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Because he was the importer for usa, the Hoffman date is a paper transaction date, not a physical delivery date. Most cars were shipped to dealers through various ports in usa, Hoffman did have a dealership in Manhattan, possibly elsewhere. That date probably set the accounts receivable date in motion for bmw.

Last edited:

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score
That makes sense. Thanks !
A while back I was into old Fords and we were able to get what is called a Marti report, it includes window sticker, production figures and such. Is there anything like that for the E9 ?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Archive email is all they have, although you can pay some euro to have the same info printed on a certificate.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I only wish there was an equivalent to the Marti report, we can’t even tell which dealership sold our coupes unless you have the original window sticker. This changed in Jan 1975 when BMW NA was formed and Hoffman was bought out.