M30B28 swap for 730i E32 BMW... Would it be a problem?

CeylonstonE9

Site Donor
Reaction score
I found a BMW 730i automatic. I am planning to take its M30B30 engine to my E9 then I may drop M30B28 engine in a E32.

I understand it has less power but would this be unreliable for big car like E32 ?

m73

Reaction score
Why not? There is such a car as the 725i & 728i ......just look at the picture (728)

BMW_E23_rear_20080127.jpg

m73

Reaction score
Makes sense to post a picture....3.0 seems to be the minimum for that model.

-Mo

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally the whole thing seems like a collosal waste of time. You have two lackluster engine swaps on your hands and the B28 donor probably isn't legal since it is older and doesn't meet the 730i emission standards. You would need to be sure to bolt on all of the 730i engine management stuff, and the B28 probably doesn't have all of the provisions to do that. Not to mention, I can only assume that you want to use the engine management for your e9.

m73

Reaction score
From an opinion standpoint this is the classic take a big engine & put into sports car (coupe) scenario. The smaller engine for the salon as an economy car.

Makes sense to me except the work involved is intensive. Depending on the country emissions is not as important as changing the original engine for import/export.

A 2.8 could lumber provided the driving dynamics are optimized (weight, tire size/width).

-Mo

CeylonstonE9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally the whole thing seems like a collosal waste of time. You have two lackluster engine swaps on your hands and the B28 donor probably isn't legal since it is older and doesn't meet the 730i emission standards. You would need to be sure to bolt on all of the 730i engine management stuff, and the B28 probably doesn't have all of the provisions to do that. Not to mention, I can only assume that you want to use the engine management for your e9.

Emission legality is no problem. About E9, I am planning to do it with weber carburetors. However, using 730i engine management on B28 may be a big difficulty you are right about that.