it will involve:

1- VALVE CLEARANCE ADJUSTMENT
2- IGNITION
3- CARBURETOR TUNING AND SYNCHRONIZATION

1st- VALVE CLEARANCE ADJUSTMENT

10 N.m is the torque that should be applied to the securing nut

1601736356554.png

some details to address this,

please read carefully, ON NO ACCOUNT CHECK CLEARANCES BETWEEN ROCKER ARM SLIDE PADS AND THE LOBES OF THE CAMSHAFT

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
question: how much torque should be applied to the securing nut (1) see picture, found nothing in the books ?????

View attachment 103266

I normally am not too fastiduous about the precise torque values on non-rotating parts, but for these, I too would like an answer to this. If not done properly, oil can seep out and into the plug wells.

TodB

Reaction score
This is a timely post.

ON NO ACCOUNT CHECK CLEARANCES BETWEEN ROCKER ARM SLIDE PADS AND THE LOBES OF THE CAMSHAFT

I've been schooled to adjust M30 valve clearances (E28 vintage) at the cam to account for rocker wear. The Mye28 forum suggests this method also. In fact, I just adjusted mine using the go/no go method at .007" and .009" clearances even though a marque expert recommended .006" and .008". I decided not to go that skinny.

Not challenging, but wondering what others do.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I normally am not too fastiduous about the precise torque values on non-rotating parts, but for these, I too would like an answer to this. If not done properly, oil can seep out and into the plug wells.

a couple of comments, first i did answer my own question in the first post, so this was solved, it is 10 N.m
second, as per your answer i wonder if we are talking about the same nut, in the mentioned first post there is a photo to identify it, i hardly can imagine it as to “if not done properly, oil can seep out and into the plug wells.”

Last edited:

Henny

Reaction score
Great thread!! I'm in the middle of an enginge cylinderhead replacement. Old head removed and replacement head cleaning/checking/reworking. So within a couple of weeks I can use these notes to adjust all the components.

oldcoupe

Reaction score
I'd second TodB regarding on the cam adjustment. With my 100,000 mile E28, until I set the gap on the cam it was always noisy. Used the same safer gap as TodB. The large contact area between the lobe and the pad lets you be more confident about the go/no go accuracy.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd second TodB regarding on the cam adjustment. With my 100,000 mile E28, until I set the gap on the cam it was always noisy. Used the same safer gap as TodB. The large contact area between the lobe and the pad lets you be more confident about the go/no go accuracy.

i try to keep apples with apples, and lemons with lemons,
the warning was found in a book for m30 engines, and i transcribe as it was written
i always set the gap in the eccentric/valve top side with excellent results
larger contact area makes no good, like a four legged chair, three points define a plane, the fourth one is always wrong
the larger the area, the worst the missalignments
i conceal that maybe is easier to avoid making pressure on the spring
but, hey it is your cat, so well done :)

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
so more carbs today,

as rechecking all the settings i found that some values had changed, so i set them to their specified values

3mm for the choke butterfly
0,7mm for the fast iddle screw
and no pressure in the lower second butterfly

@dj_efk maybe missing some of this in your zeniths ?

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i use two markers,

first check, if ok red mark, if not i fix it and paint red mark

once done, i make a complete turn to recheck

if ok i paint a blue mark, if not, fix once more, a new recheck turn and if ok a blue mark

but in the first turn, the exhaust valve of the second cyl gave a wrong check, so i had to fix, and the nut was too big for the wrench, WTH ?