Made a couple small parts: seat belt channel and gas cap holder

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Howdy, everyone!

Since I finally got my coupe up and running (mostly) reliably, I've been using it more frequently and I identified a couple things that didn't work too well. Two things for me were the seat belts not retracting and I had nowhere to put the gas cap when filling up. So, I decided to make some parts for both of those 'problems' using some ABS filament.

Seat belt spacer:
seat belt spacer.png

Gas cap holder:
gas cap holder.png

I also made the 3D file for a new intermediate housing (the super fragile plastic 'box' that connects the heater and AC system) but I haven't printed it yet. It's based on an E3 part, so I think I just need to cut off the left and right outlets to make it work for the E9.

What are some other parts y'all think I should make? I was thinking about a cell phone holder or a housing to let us do something with the speaker grille in the dash.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Howdy, everyone!

Since I finally got my coupe up and running (mostly) reliably, I've been using it more frequently and I identified a couple things that didn't work too well. Two things for me were the seat belts not retracting and I had nowhere to put the gas cap when filling up. So, I decided to make some parts for both of those 'problems' using some ABS filament.

Seat belt spacer:
View attachment 148400

Gas cap holder:
View attachment 148401

I also made the 3D file for a new intermediate housing (the super fragile plastic 'box' that connects the heater and AC system) but I haven't printed it yet. It's based on an E3 part, so I think I just need to cut off the left and right outlets to make it work for the E9.

What are some other parts y'all think I should make? I was thinking about a cell phone holder or a housing to let us do something with the speaker grille in the dash.
Simple yet brilliant.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
If people are really interested, I could make a bunch. However, before I do, I think I'd like to send one to another owner to get their feedback and refine the product. I want to make sure it works well for others, not just me.

Who's up for being a beta tester?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If people are really interested, I could make a bunch. However, before I do, I think I'd like to send one to another owner to get their feedback and refine the product. I want to make sure it works well for others, not just me.

Who's up for being a beta tester?

I'll do it!

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Howdy, everyone. Andrew and I are working through some design changes on the gas cap holder, and I thought I'd share the next part I'm working on:
1666756249817.png

Now, based on what happened to others, I'm making some design changes to the part, particularly to make it stronger. So, it won't be exactly like the original, but it also shouldn't crack if you look at it funny. I'm making these for my own AC conversion, but would there be any interest in these from the broader group?

Dlc

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi, I definitely am interested in this part.
Thanks
Dominik

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Howdy, everyone.

Before I put up the order thread for the fuel cap holders, I worked some more on the AC side panel covers, here's how mine look at present. Original on the right, mine on the left. I've made some modifications to the original design: I am attempting to add some cross-spars, to improve the strength of the slats, and I made the entire piece 33% thicker than the original. I printed it in the grey plastic since that's what I have the most of, and I'm still iterating on the design.

As a small note, you may see I had to cut the top and bottom a little bit, unfortunately due to my printer's working volume. This part, when at full scale, is just ~10mm too big to fit, no matter how I rotate it, so I trimmed some of the surrounding sealing flange. If I get another printer with a larger working volume, I would restore the original profile. I also intend to increase the spar width, so they print better than this one did. I verified this print fit on the AC console sides I have on hand.

I'd like to hear some feedback, any suggestions?

Attachments

• new vs old.jpg
    new vs old.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 83

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Update on the AC side panels:

Here's my latest version: (mine is on the right)
View attachment 154148

I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions for changes.

considering that you have done the job first i say thank you

then on a positive critic inspection i would say that the worst impresion on first look is the grilles (openings), that i think they must be lines, and not 2 direction grilles, if you are worried for the little material left for structural support i think that it will be much better thicker lines than the pattern that you have used
IMHO
i could live with the rest
also my guess is that the profoundness of the shape in your case is less than in the original,
thank you

x_atlas0

Reaction score
considering that you have done the job first i say thank you

then on a positive critic inspection i would say that the worst impresion on first look is the grilles (openings), that i think they must be lines, and not 2 direction grilles, if you are worried for the little material left for structural support i think that it will be much better thicker lines than the pattern that you have used
IMHO
i could live with the rest
also my guess is that the profoundness of the shape in your case is less than in the original,
thank you
Thank you for the critique, I want to make something people want to use, given the originals are very flimsy and fragile.

If I understand correctly, you do not want the cross-spars? You want it to look more like the original with just slots? I can do that, and since I have made the whole part thicker it should be stronger than original, but not as strong as my design. I did make an earlier version with just that, and I was able to still break the spars by pushing them up and down, relative to the face of the part. They were much stronger pushing against forces normal to the face of the part, though.

I do not understand what you mean by "profoundness of the shape in your case is less than in the original", would you please you expand on that? Do you mean how my part has a sharper vertical cutoff around the slots vs the original part? Here's a side picture showing the profile.

1672679752435.jpeg

I am concerned about making the part too close to the original, as one of our other members faithfully recreated the original panels a few years back and had their parts copyright flagged by BMW. So, I want to make it an equivalent fit part, but not exactly the same part as original, if that makes sense. I want to make it work better than the original.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you for the critique, I want to make something people want to use, given the originals are very flimsy and fragile.

If I understand correctly, you do not want the cross-spars? You want it to look more like the original with just slots? I can do that, and since I have made the whole part thicker it should be stronger than original, but not as strong as my design. I did make an earlier version with just that, and I was able to still break the spars by pushing them up and down, relative to the face of the part. They were much stronger pushing against forces normal to the face of the part, though.

I do not understand what you mean by "profoundness of the shape in your case is less than in the original", would you please you expand on that? Do you mean how my part has a sharper vertical cutoff around the slots vs the original part? Here's a side picture showing the profile.

View attachment 154211

I am concerned about making the part too close to the original, as one of our other members faithfully recreated the original panels a few years back and had their parts copyright flagged by BMW. So, I want to make it an equivalent fit part, but not exactly the same part as original, if that makes sense. I want to make it work better than the original.

thank you new view shows they are even more profound (higher in your picture)

"If I understand correctly, you do not want the cross-spars? You want it to look more like the original with just slots?" yes !!! if possible i would keep the original image of just slots !!

well done !

x_atlas0

Reaction score
thank you new view shows they are even more profound (higher in your picture)

"If I understand correctly, you do not want the cross-spars? You want it to look more like the original with just slots?" yes !!! if possible i would keep the original image of just slots !!

well done !

So based on the picture you are good with the depth (height) of the part vs the original? (profound, as you put it)

I can re-draw the cutouts to increase the spar width to make them stronger, probably by ~1mm.

Any other changes you'd like to see? It takes ~1.5 days to print each side so I'd like to incorporate several changes into each print to reduce my waste and time.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
So based on the picture you are good with the depth (height) of the part vs the original? (profound, as you put it)

I can re-draw the cutouts to increase the spar width to make them stronger, probably by ~1mm.

Any other changes you'd like to see? It takes ~1.5 days to print each side so I'd like to incorporate several changes into each print to reduce my waste and time.

yes, depth , height, looks good as it covers (in excess) the possible interferences with internal elements of the AC or heater parts

as to the cutouts, let’s talk about perceived differences:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
If we look at the photograph in which you can see the original part and the reproduction, I can certainly perceive a large difference in the aspect ratio between the raised shape and the opening of the grilles.

obviously the appearance of the elevated form is different, I'm going to assume that it is difficult to get an exact copy of the original form (this would be my best recommendation)

1672730640898.png