(MAJOR UPDATE)A most interesting trade offer, a classic Volvo for a daily!

Trade my Camry for the volvo?

• Total voters

Haseeb

Reaction score
This is right on the heels of yesterday's topic, somehow related and not at the same time. I have an opportunity to possibly trade my 2014 Toyota Camry (daily with less than 27k miles, very reliable) for this manual Volvo 1800 (see attached pictures of it, its super good looking). What do you guys think about trade? To offer incentive to the Volvo owner, I offered some cash on top of the trade, but might reconsider it, given that on KBB my car is worth *roughly* his asking price. Perhaps it should be noted that I don't know how to drive manual (but perfectly okay with learning it soon)

Attachments

• Volvo.jpg
    Volvo.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Volvo 2.jpg
    Volvo 2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Volvo 3.jpg
    Volvo 3.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 137

Haseeb

Reaction score
Also here is a picture of a camry for reference (they are pretty spacious for a mid-size car)

Attachments

• Camryboi.jpg
    Camryboi.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 129

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
"X" That's a line graph of the values of those cars. Long term, you can't lose by owning that Volvo (if it checks out as nice as you say it is), but you will have to deal with old car stuff... leaks when it rains, defroster not working great, little issues here and there. I would decide based on whether you've actually wanted a Volvo like that versus thinking it's an opportunity or an investment.

I do like that you're even considering it though. I see lots of cars and fun in your future. :)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This seems more fun than any Camry… go for it! ;)

View attachment 48354
What does your daily driving entail? As tempting as the offer is, daily driving in North Jersey is a challenge to say the least. The Toyota is safer(especially in the age of Giant Trucks that tend to T-Bone the little guys), agreed value and the hassle of dealing with the insurance company, air conditioning(important to me when sitting in traffic on a sunny 90 degree day. And you are heading into a 90+ heat wave this holiday weekend.

That's the realist talking here.

Steve

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What does your daily driving entail? As tempting as the offer is, daily driving in North Jersey is a challenge to say the least. The Toyota is safer(especially in the age of Giant Trucks that tend to T-Bone the little guys), agreed value and the hassle of dealing with the insurance company, air conditioning(important to me when sitting in traffic on a sunny 90 degree day. And you are heading into a 90+ heat wave this holiday weekend.

That's the realist talking here.

Steve
Sort of looks like, as we said in the 60s, the guy on the hood is coping a feel. But that was the 60s. Don't look forward to that, especially if the photo goes viral.

Haseeb

Reaction score
Sort of looks like, as we said in the 60s, the guy on the hood is coping a feel. But that was the 60s. Don't look forward to that, especially if the photo goes viral.
For my daily driving, I run a shit ton of little errands for my mom and dad (and myself) throughout fall-spring in Jersey and I go to school less than 10 miles away, so mostly staying within 20 miles or less of my house. As for the summer, I have been doing a lot of driving going to and from D.C/NJ, but that is only for these summer weekends it seems

Haseeb

Reaction score
"X" That's a line graph of the values of those cars. Long term, you can't lose by owning that Volvo (if it checks out as nice as you say it is), but you will have to deal with old car stuff... leaks when it rains, defroster not working great, little issues here and there. I would decide based on whether you've actually wanted a Volvo like that versus thinking it's an opportunity or an investment.

I do like that you're even considering it though. I see lots of cars and fun in your future. :)
I will try to meet the guy this thursday/friday, take pictures, and report back to you guys before I make a deal, and I hope that happens in the future too! :D (Future wifey already disapproves unless its a Delorean):rolleyes:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Old cars are fun when you have a reliable car as backup. I commuted in 20 yo cars for 15 years. Then I had a kid and needed a safe car. So I sold the really old car, bought my wife a safe new car, and took her old car. At that time I switched to a 10+ year old cars (which is the newest car I have commuted in ever).

Needless to say I have had my share of issues over the years. It’s not about breaking down on the side of the road, which has happened about five or six times. It’s about scrambling on Sunday night to get a repair done so you can commute on Monday.

Keep your Toyota and drive it into the ground. Focus your old car energy on a second or third car if you have the space. A ten year old car is a reliable safe car from 2008+. A 40-50yo car is a headache when it is for transportation and not for fun.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I will try to meet the guy this thursday/friday, take pictures, and report back to you guys before I make a deal, and I hope that happens in the future too! :D (Future wifey already disapproves unless its a Delorean):rolleyes:

I'm kinda with Markos on this one. Keep the Camry and keep looking for a fun car on the side. Buy something, fix it, sell it for profit and give some of the profit to your future wife. From that point on you will be able to buy as many cars to flip as you can get!

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
as already stated, a oldtimer in never a "good" daily….. sure not in traffic today. Acceleration , speed... 60...80 mph is already "driving" in those old cars , in a modern one you can have coffee and read your newspaper…..
In those days we found it "normal" to be at the side of the road … broken down from time to time.
MPG will also be horrible compared to your modern car….
Overheating problems in summer, bad starting on winter mornings….
No airbags , fixed steering columns.... safety ???
Luxe … indeed , like airconditioning ….. demist ventilation , driving lights ! etc...

if i compare the time i need to wrench on my old cars with the time driven…. i do need a modern daily :)

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hasseb,
Id say take the Volvo any day (or night). That’s about one of the coolest and affordable old timers with solid and simple mechanics, often with a 4spd with overdrive for highway driving and will bring a grin on your face everytime you get into it, unlike any Camry could ever do. In Germany the model is known as Snow White’s Hearst!
You’ll be a welcome guest at any car get together.
At your age, it’s not about simplifying life, it’s time for adventures. There is no reason not to be using it as a daily drive (not in winter though) like people did when Camarys weren’t around ;).

Buy a ‘hoopty’ (cheap car) for the errands and the Volvo for everything else.

Don’t listen to the old guys with life’s wisdom..........just kidding old guys.....no offence meant since I’m in the old boys group too.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
at least there are now good electronic ignitions….. in one of my first cars 40 years ago ( Vauxhall Viva) i needed to replace the points every week somewhere along the road …. i even lost a rear wheel with it , together with the driving axle that came out of the diff …. :)

if you can live with the concept , as daily, i would sure began with a complete rebuild engine/gearbox and diff….. and renew the cooling system ( radiator, hoses) and brakes …. then perhaps you can have some thrust in it... oh , wait new gas cables to , they use to break....

not to mention new tires…. on some oldtimers they are +10 years old….. and steering box and rods…. that usual play in the steering isn't that fun…..

but that Volvo is a nice car ! :D

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sell your Camry and buy a newer car that's safer, but a lot more exciting.

My daily driver is a G35 Coupe. Has a Supercharger on it to keep things interesting. Fun, fast, reliable, and comfortable for long drives. Safe w/ABS and airbags and crumple zones.

2011-06-20 12.36.15_e0.jpg

Plus, you daily drive ANYTHING (Lambo, Ferrari, etc.) and it will eventually be nothing special at most times and you'll just want it to function and not be a PITA in traffic.

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i subscribe every point on the volvo,
just get that car to day
and find an ultra cheap daily driver
the volvo is an icon of the swedish design and a pretty rare car
i will not comment a line on the camly ? WTH is that thing ? ok i know you need it to take your groceries
but ....a trade ? please do it

Haseeb

Reaction score
Everyone's input has been really solid and much appreciated, I just got off the phone with the seller and I am going to see it in person on Thursday at 7 pm, I am gonna take a thorough look at the car and he is gonna take a thorough look at mine. I will update this thread with pictures that day and then we can decide over the weekend. If it looks good to all you guys and my dad, then its a green light :) (also Markos said YOLO today and I think that settles all my life's endeavors from here on out)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am in the "GET THE VOLVO" camp. That is a very cool car. Also concur with then picking up a cheap daily so the Volvo can be the continuation of that car collection you are starting. Although I doubt you should pay the guy cash on top of your Camry - if anything I would think it should go the other way...

Haseeb

Reaction score
I am in the "GET THE VOLVO" camp. That is a very cool car. Also concur with then picking up a cheap daily so the Volvo can be the continuation of that car collection you are starting. Although I doubt you should pay the guy cash on top of your Camry - if anything I would think it should go the other way...
He told me he doesn't need the camry he just wants to flip it (its worth about 13.5-14k on KBB), perhaps worst case scenario I could go through with the even trade (not give him the extra cash) and probably flip his volvo for a couple thousand more hmmmm

Haseeb

Reaction score
Sell your Camry and buy a newer car that's safer, but a lot more exciting.

My daily driver is a G35 Coupe. Has a Supercharger on it to keep things interesting. Fun, fast, reliable, and comfortable for long drives. Safe w/ABS and airbags and crumple zones.

View attachment 48355

Plus, you daily drive ANYTHING (Lambo, Ferrari, etc.) and it will eventually be nothing special at most times and you'll just want it to function and not be a PITA in traffic.
Dad was trying his best to convince me to get a 2012 Lexus Es350!