Manual steering box on the bay

John S

Reaction score
Steering Box

Can anyone tell by looking at the picture of the steering box whether it's for a right of a left hand steering car :?:

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Re: conversion

Does anyone know how hard it is to convert a power steering car to a manual steering box?

Paging TJ Noto to tech, stat!

TJ did this, and he discovered there is a difference in length between the steering shafts which must be corrected.

pmansson

Reaction score
On Saturday I drove my Taiga with its new manual steering box for the first time. Yes, it is heavier on stand still manouvering, but it is much nicer to use when driving. It has 4 turns from far left to far right.

I forgot to check numbers to see if it is a CSL or manual E3 steering box, but they are fairly similar if I recall correctly.

It required an extension of the lower steering column.

I had the box serviced prior to installation. The minimal play that I have now, must be due to the old, rubber "clutch" plate between the upper steering column and the U-joint above the pedals somewhere.
I am not a big fan of poly bushes, but this might be one situation where it´s appropriate to use it. Ireland Engineering has them and I have one in my parts boxes.

Orangener

Reaction score
On thursday evening (european time) i will make an auction on Ebay with such a manual steering box which i have found during a stock clearance a few weeks ago (LHD).
I have installed one in my coupe, you need muscles in stand !
And, like velocewest wrote, the steering shafts must be corrected!
Or you find one from an E3 with the correct lenght, like i did....

89b39b8a5a083f711aa8fefedc74ac0e.png

I will post the link.......

pmansson

Reaction score
Very strange

My original CSL has 5 turns from point to point, whereas the manual box in my CSi has 4 turns.

I bought 2 manual steering boxes last year, of which one might have been from an E3, can´t find the paper where I noted the numbers.
Both were serviced and one of them recently installed in my Taiga CSi.

I have not touched the CSL box.

I could understand the CSL having 4 turns and the CSi having 5 turns (with an E3 steering box), but not the other way round, with the CSL having 5 turns...?

DJSimca

Reaction score
Re: Very strange

pmansson said:
I could understand the CSL having 4 turns and the CSi having 5 turns (with an E3 steering box), but not the other way round, with the CSL having 5 turns...?

I bought a manual CSL steering box a few years back and have all the parts necessary to install it.

However as I was considering installing it I found out that the CSL manual steering box has a higher gear ratio than the servo-assisted steering box - which is also described in the repair manual:

The power steering (ZF ball nut power assisted steering) has a steering gear ratio of 15.7:1 and an overall ratio of 18.45:1

The manual CSL steering (ZF-Gemmer steering) has a steering gear ratio of 16.4:1 and an overall ratio of 18.5:1 :o

However I have heard that special racing steering boxes were made in the 70s with ratios about 13:1 - that's what you want to get your hands on :D

shanon

Reaction score
I also have a manual box on the shelf awaiting conversion.

The Mfg plate says: ZF-Gremmer-Lenkung #7320955108 Fabr. Nr. 85425 371

Is this a CSL manual box or an E3 unit?
Tried inputting the number at RealOem without any luck.

Any help with the ID of this part appreciated.. 8)

TIA!
-shanon

Orangener

Reaction score
Mine has end-number 153 and 5 1/2 turns.....

But I have sold one with end number 108, also 5 1/2 turns .... and this one was from a E3 wrecker (3,0si with D-Jetronic) and not from a CSL !

DJSimca

Reaction score
I checked mine last night ... it is also a 108 'version' and it has 4.5 turns 'side to side'

shanon

Reaction score
Thanks for the ID.

Curious, when counting rotations of the steering wheel, should we factor/ID in the size of the steering wheel itself?.... :roll:

-shanon

Orangener

Reaction score
Orangener said:
On thursday evening (european time) i will make an auction on Ebay with such a manual steering box which i have found during a stock clearance a few weeks ago (LHD).
I have installed one in my coupe, you need muscles in stand !
And, like velocewest wrote, the steering shafts must be corrected!
Or you find one from an E3 with the correct lenght, like i did....

89b39b8a5a083f711aa8fefedc74ac0e.png

I will post the link.......

Here´s the link to all my E9-related stuff on Ebay, including the gearbox :

http://e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=21321#21321

G-Man

Reaction score
I have a manual steering box in my 70 Euro spec E3 2800 and I was running 225/60-14 tires on 14" Alpina's. It was a real bitch to turn in parking lots, definately power steering by armstrong. Start weight lifting if you are running wide tires on your car because you'll get a workout driving your car. I went back to stock 195/70-14 and it was much easier to drive.

G-Man