Manual windows to power windows?

mane

Reaction score
Is it possible to convert manual front windows to powered ones? What does it require?

Wladek

Reaction score
Is it possible to convert manual front windows to powered ones? What does it require?
If you thought about converting manuals to power but using manual mechanism as base + adding: motor, gear, switch and cable - then it's not possible or will require tons of custom work that will probably cost more than good genuine power mechanism.
Depending on year of the car there was two versions of power mechanism early sardine style motor & later integrated motor with gearbox:

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 115
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I went power to manual on the CSL doors. The replacement mechanism was just plug and play. Not sure if you could also use one from the E3.

mane

Reaction score
Thanks for replies. I guess I do just manual for now, and think about this later again :)

But still interested. If you have or know where to buy the powered mechanisms, let me know.

73E9er

Reaction score
Mane - I, too, had a desire to convert my coupe from manual cranks to power. This was years ago now, so I sourced front regulator/wiring/switches, etc., setups from a fellow E9coupe member (from a parts car he had). Then I stored the whole bunch in my garage attic for years (I've had my coupe for over 20 years).

A couple of years ago, my manual cranks started failing (felt like the internal gears were slipping, resulting in my front windows sticking half open, or, unable to get up from the fully down positions). Upon diagnosis of the problem (via removal of door panel, removal of entire regulator mechanisms), it turned out that the key pivoting points of the mechanisms were made out of pot metal, had stripped, were integral parts of "assemblies" (riveted, enclosed, collections of gears), thus rendering them not repairable. So, I "hard wired" the window regulator arms in the "up" positions and drove thusly for nearly two years. Meanwhile, I sourced some E28 rear window motors and did some learning on how to install them in our coupes. There are many threads on this process on this forum. Same same for adding relays for the motors.

Replacing manual cranks with electric ones is fairly straight forward, given that you have prepared appropriately. That is, you have the mechanisms, motors, additional switches for the console (spade vs prong types), are prepared to drill holes in your doors and door bulkheads (near the mounts for the door brakes) for the wires required, have considered the merits of adding circuit relays (where and how many), etc. By the way, the actual mechanisms (regulator mounts and scissor bars) are identically mounted in the doors. No drilling required. But, of course, you are left with serious holes in the door panels where the cranks were.

All in all, I am very happy with my end result. But, it was indeed a complicated project. Decisions, decisions. You'll be making many should you travel down this road.

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
I converted from manual to power..........you need to have 4 relays..... 1 for up either side and 1 for down either side. I used the sardine can motors and have no issues at all. Also went for central locking which is great.

Reactions: Wes

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I converted from manual to power..........you need to have 4 relays..... 1 for up either side and 1 for down either side. I used the sardine can motors and have no issues at all. Also went for central locking which is great.

Central locking? What is this? Next I'll hear about ABS brakes, heated seats and cup holders :D

burky

Site Donor
Reaction score
No one has mentioned the speed issue, from someone who has agonised over the speed of my slowly rising window , manual has some positives , the same gear ratio either way but at least you can crank manual faster. Surely the numbers are out there for the fastest manual operation down to up versus electric. Be careful what you wish for.

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
No one has mentioned the speed issue, from someone who has agonised over the speed of my slowly rising window , manual has some positives , the same gear ratio either way but at least you can crank manual faster. Surely the numbers are out there for the fastest manual operation down to up versus electric. Be careful what you wish for.
Well I wouldn't call 7 seconds up and down for front and 5 seconds up and down for rear too lazy. So many people in a hurry these days.:cool: