Martini Racing Group 2 Resurrection

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
Anyone remember this car? It disappeared one day, was modified into a group 5 car, then turned into a street car.
BMW-b.jpg

Last edited:

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
Well, after it was found in Amsterdam on a used car lot, it was brought to CA to sit for a long time, waiting for it's day.
A year or so ago, all the Group 5 wide body stuff was removed, dismantled down to a rolling chassis, and sent to paint. Finally, it's back and we're scurrying to get it finished in time for Monterey.
IMG_1044.jpg

345's!
IMG_1045.jpg

And so it begins.
IMG_1048.jpg

Last edited:

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
I'll post more pictures as progress is made. Bimmer was there taking photos too, so I'm sure it will be released in their mag as well.

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
Awesome! Were you sitting on this surprise all this time?
It was sitting in the shop in the corner, I didn't know it was Willi Martini 's CSL. I just thought it was another e9 that was turned into a race car and forgotten about. I only learned about the real story recently when I asked where that car went. All of this is a way bigger deal than imagined. Art, who worked with BMW Motorsport back in the day is on board too. It's a thing of beauty. The rear wing was fitted yesterday and the parts will go to paint next week. I'm deep into Jeff Ireland's e30 Baur that he's taking to Monterey also, so I'll probably be joining the build after next week once I'm done with that build.

Last edited:

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
The great thing about having Art head the build/resurrection is he is keeping everything exactly as it would have been done originally. We powder coat pretty much everything. He is rattle-canning the subframes, because he says that's the way it was done when the car was originally built. The only "modern" things that will be added or changed are mandatory things like the seat, cage, and other safety devices since the original systems wouldn't be legal by today's standards. Yay!

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, white and green don't really say "Martini Racing"...

Are we talking about the well known Martini as in the aperitif maker and sponsor who sponsored many Lancias and Porsches (and currently Williams F1) or is this an unrelated Martini?

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, white and green don't really say "Martini Racing"...

Are we talking about the well known Martini as in the aperitif maker and sponsor who sponsored many Lancias and Porsches (and currently Williams F1) or is this an unrelated Martini?
Originally I was led to believe that Martini Racing and Willi Martini were related, but that is mis-information. Willi was a tuner and driver based near the Nurburgring. This is the CSL that was a BMW M/Willi Martini co-project.

Last edited:

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
Art, who is part of the (re)build, is actually the guy who originally designed and made the flares and front splitter on this car in the '70s. He was one of the founding members of BMW Motorsport and was responsible for aerodynamics on the early cars, building wings and flares and wot-not.
047_0010_BMW_CSL.jpg

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes they are the same. This is the original car that Willi Martini drove. There was also an e12 that was decked out in the "Asti" color scheme. The white-red-blue scheme came later.

Very interesting. I did not know they ever had another color scheme.

floridabmx

Reaction score
i love the gp2 kit. what are you doing/have done with the gp5 kit? not for sale is it? :)

wsk

Reaction score
We finally got the motor installed Wednesday after much messing about with the clutch (getting the stock actuation mechanism to work with a period Sachs racing clutch). Not easy!
IMG_1242.jpg
IMG_1243.jpg
IMG_1244.jpg

wsk

Reaction score
The flares and spoiler are Art's handiwork (with the help of Jeff Freeman, who builds McLaren Can Am bodies!).
IMG_1173.jpg

wsk

Reaction score
On the dyno (with Terry, master motor builder, and Jeff, Kugelfischer expert).
IMG_1118.jpg
IMG_1124.jpg
IMG_1164.jpg

wsk

Reaction score
BTW just about everything on this motor (and the whole car for that matter) is period original. The block, the head, the crankshaft, the cam, the headers, the Alpina slide throttle and oil pump, the injection pump... all Group 2 parts from the '70s.