Marvel at this rare, $2.2m 1974 BMW CSL IMSA

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder if BMW NA corrected their #25 car, or if there are two official #25’s at this point. At 2.2M, I would want to be sure. Perhaps those that follow BMW motorsport know where this landed.

Here is the BMW NA car #2275985 wearing the 25 livery:

Looks like Henry renumbered his CSL (2275987) and is claiming #25. About 4 years ago BMW NA celebrated the 40 year anniversary of the win at Sebring. Much of the 1975 race team were reunited including crew chief Rudy Gmeiner. The history of which CSL chassis did what was uncovered and we now know 987 won Sebring while 988 was the hare that Stuck and Posey drove to "break the Porsches". Good on Henry. NA's 985 has been wearing 25 for decades....

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Race numbers changed for most every race, it’s the chassis number that counts. I think Jackie Jouret confirmed his was a race winner.

I agree about the chassis number for sure. I don't understand enough about Motorsport in general to understand the significance of "claiming #25" from 12 hours of Sebring race as @kladd mentioned. Perhaps nobody cares. CSL owners are already used to saying: "Actually it came with those arches, and they are stainless not chrome", so I suppose a this owner won't mind saying "Actually this is the real winner of Sebring in '75".

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the owner was surprised and thrilled to find out three years ago from Jackie’s research that his coupe was the actual winner and not BMWNA’s. Was it Sebring? Kevin’s 57 won Daytona?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What kind of dual water temp gauge is this (the 3rd one)?

1974-bmw-3-5-csl-imsa-_13.jpg