Matching numbers?

Gor

Reaction score
Hey guys...
Why do they make things difficult?
I was looking at my new UK registration document, and noticed that the
VIN no. and Engine no. were the same.
I thought the DVLA had made a mistake, and was about to contact them to put them right, but thought it best to quickly check the numbers on the coupe first.
The VIN number is quite clearly visible, but the engine number was not.
The workshop manual said it was above the starter motor, but I couldn't see it. The BMW Owners Handbook even shows a picture of the location, but I still couldn't find the number!!
I removed the air filter for a better view. Still nothing...so I fabricated a mirror on a stick and poked around. Still nothing. Then I got my iphone and tried to take some photos of where I thought I should be looking.
I retrieved the iphone but by now my hands were filthy and covered in blood.
I cleaned up with wipes, and studied the photos, nothing. Well maybe, just possibly something, or is that a scratch?
Using the wipes and some very awkward hand/finger placement I again cleaned that area and took more photos. Wow... a plus sign and some 2's had begun to appear. The BMW Owners Handbook was now making a bit more sense, but surely they must have have removed some hoses to get that clear picture!
A bit more cleaning and a few photos later... I was delighted to find that the numbers do indeed match, and I will not have to bother the DVLA after all.
Does this also mean that the value of the coupe has increased?
Any replies and jokes will be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Gor

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Indeed, matching numbers does increase the value of your car.
Given that buyers value originality it proves that the engine is original to your car, unless of course your car is such an anomaly that neither the body nor the engine are original to your car...

Gor

Reaction score
Arde

Hey Arde...

So glad to hear from you again.
I wanted to ascertain what an anomaly was in the dictionary, before replying to your post.
You were right again, as usual...
The definition, (deviation from normal), appears to be spot on, and seems somehow to almost perfectly describe both the coupe and her in owner in just one word.
I would like to add one more word, the interjection 'welcome' before the noun 'anomaly', thus putting the coupe and myself in good stead, and making us both even more disirable!
It appears that an original 1970 rhd UK registered, unrestored 2800 CSA, in storage for last 31 years, is a far rarer beast than I could have imagined.
My plans for restoring the beauty are now falling apart, (as are the sills)
so I decided to put the coupe up for sale.
The advert (in car and classic), caused quite a stir, but had to be taken down the next day, as I was unable to edit the advert, nor was I able to respond to any potential purchasers.
Imagine my suprise, when on checking to ensure the ad was down, I spotted a black UK rhd CSA for restoration. It was priced at over £22000 more than mine had been up for... I really need to talk to someone who knows how to price these vehicles before mine goes back on the market!
My ad was actually spotted by another forum member who has managed to track me down and send a private message inquiring about the sale.

Changing the subject...I have managed to upload a new photo to the e9 photo gallery, named 'wide bodied model'.
Now this is is an anomaly and should not be considered as a roadworthy example.
I thought I made it look pretty, even if overweight!
All replies and any jokes will be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Gor

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
£22000! For that kind of money I could buy a Premier League player!
Good luck with the sale, you are a great marketeer.

Yes, the "wide bodied model" entry will also get you lots of traffic from search engines, although in developed countries "slim model" may get you more.

Gor

Reaction score
Arde... £22000! For that kind of money I would have a very long beach holiday in Thailand!
Thanks for your kind words, good wishes and sound advice.
I feel they will be a great help with any grief I may incur if and when the sleeping beauty goes back to market.
I may now try to photoshop and post another image for a slimmer model to begin generating even more interest from the developed countries.
Do you think there is a colour preference, for slim coupes, or should I keep/use the original #002 Colorado.
I will try and keep you all updated on this and may post a link for posterity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My friend Gor, you own something singular, therefore I predict you will never sell it.
You may not get to restore it either.

Wide bodied models show best in belly dancing attire, slim models in lingerie. I will not opine on color, we are a fair and color blind state here in California.

Good luck and do post some pictures.