Mille Miglia E9’er

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
*Brescia.

He's there with his family, I don't think he was driving or navigating. Though he has been a navigator in the past.
Think the final stage was completed yesterday.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i "almost" participated once years ago.... i had a proposal from a "friend" classic car dealer to buy a Jaguar XK , participate , and he would re sell the car if it didn't wanted to keep it. Next problem was getting subscribed..... therefor the dealer had connections with old famous pilots ( even F1 ) which agreed to be "copilot" for the participation aply , so you were almost sure to be approved. Few days before the start , that famous person is "sick" and you can start with your own copilot.....that was the game.
Only problem were the $$$$$ that famous pilot wanted for it. Lucrative bussiness upon his pension i think.......so no , i didn't agree.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
About 20 years ago, I was in Florence when a series of Mille Miglia cars came 'barking' down the street. Quite surprised, as I hadn't checked the calendar, but certainly recognized the emblems.

My biggest 'Italian' treat was spending 2/3 of a day about 20 years ago driving the 40+ miles of the Targa Florio route in Sicily. Drove the route thrice, then drove it backward just to marvel at the scenery and enjoy the villages from a different view. The bravery of the competitive driver's in this race was certainly over the top, as even in the early 2000's, there were no guard rails on the mountainous corners. On a few there was a stone wall about 8-10" high. I highly recommend driving that route for anyone who loves a spirited drive. There was essentially no traffic, and the road was in good condition. Four miles of straight and level road along the sea, but I don't think the other 36 miles had any places where the road was straight or level for even 100 yards!

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi all, I was there doing the MM, for the second time. Last was in 2015. My good car buddy here in FL bought the 1928 Chrysler 72 that was in the event in 1928 originally, and that is what we entered. We also did the 2017 Cal Mille in the 1928 Chrysler.

It's a cool car, max speed about 60-65. Redline 2800, mostly kept it below 2000 rpm. Very torquey for the hills. Probably 85 hp and 200 Lb/ft. Hydraulic brakes and a 3 speed crashbox. My friend is tall, so the car fits him.

We were mostly running with Bugattis (35s, 40s, and 43s), Lancia Lambdas, many BMW 328s (which is the fastest prewar car in the event) and a Chrysler from Belgium. Our own @Dirk has done it at least once in a 328. There was a nice guy, John Herlihy from Mississippi and New Orleans who was running a 328 with his wife this year.

We finished the event, and we didn't die, so those were good outcomes. Brakes failed on day 2, but we managed to come to a complete stop--eventually. Don't tell my wife. Welded a hard brake line after detouring to a shop in Perugia. Day 3 and 4 were awesome.

It's the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on.

My buddy just sold the car to Houtkamp after the event, and he is looking for a different car, perhaps an Alfa 6C.

Not an every year event for me--very expensive and time consuming. But really special to share it with my family this time.

Pics and videos posted on my Instagram @vintageeuropeancars_

Worth going just to see the number and variety of interesting cars. It's just amazing.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I stand corrected. Loved watching your Instagram feed. Scott you are living your best life! Hope you will be in Monterey for Car Week.