Mirror thread

AndyP

Reaction score
Need an opinion: driver's side mirror - the thread inside the mirror is now officially stripped and I cannot tighten it enough for the mirror to not fold in even when at slow highway speeds.

New one? Or get it re-threaded somewhere and use a larger bolt? Is it worth the effort.

Thanks!

Honolulu

Reaction score
how about using some "stiffener" in the stripped threads... like some epoxy. It needn't glue the whole thing into a single fixed position depending on application.

How often do we mess with mirror angles anyway? Who among us lets another drive our cars? My wife, though she loved the coupe when I got it with a crappy auto trans, now says the car "jerks" too much with the five speed. Also, since I wisely remove the non-functional A/C, she refuses to get near it. heh, heh, momma didn't raise no dummies...

YMMV

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Need an opinion: driver's side mirror - the thread inside the mirror is now officially stripped and I cannot tighten it enough for the mirror to not fold in even when at slow highway speeds.

New one? Or get it re-threaded somewhere and use a larger bolt? Is it worth the effort.

Thanks!

i do not have in mind the details of the mechanism, but it sounds possible to re-thread it to a bigger size of bolt (if now M5, to M6), just make sure that there is enough "meat" to bite when re-threading to bigger diameter

if it is possible, yes, it is worth the effort, I always feel that to glue something that is not intended to be glued in the long term is a bad idea !

regards

remark: if you post a pic of details of the thread you mentioned i can discuss it further

61porsche

Reaction score
Bolt or Stud

Rather than change the thread, a second solution might be to use a stud of the same size as the bolt. The stud could be epoxied or heilicoiled repaired thereby keeping the original in tact.

The mirrors ae available, new repros are too, and a used one shouldn't be difficult to find.

If mine were in good to excellent shape and original, I would repair rather than replace.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Rather than change the thread, a second solution might be to use a stud of the same size as the bolt. The stud could be epoxied or heilicoiled repaired thereby keeping the original in tact.

The mirrors ae available, new repros are too, and a used one shouldn't be difficult to find.

If mine were in good to excellent shape and original, I would repair rather than replace.

+1