Momo Mirage

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A friend was over discussing what to do with my coupe. Now, this friendship rests firmly on tearing down each other’s hopes & dreams. So, instead of picking apart my coupe’s obvious issues, he discusses all its virtues. I’m on guard. And he strikes: “These would have been perfect had they taken some styling hints from the Momo Mirage. That’s the high watermark of all touring coupes from that era.”

I can’t remember how he knew that car annoyed me, but he hit paydirt. To me it was a near-miss that ended up as an unholy Frankenstein of marketing nonsense. Here’s a pictorial of the debate:

What beautiful design & lines:

5F36687A-131E-4CBD-B0BB-25DC02E8CB18.jpeg
6DB24ED6-C6DC-468C-9494-397C45025625.jpeg

And then the design catastrophe erasing any merit:

135416C7-F101-42CA-B157-7CD052C081CA.jpeg

Discussion devolves joyously from here with accusations I’m unschooled in Anglo design & generally have anti-Brit design blinders. And me comparing it to 90s Chryslers.

Bottom line, if you’ve read this far, let me know if anyone thinks this unholy mess rates anywhere near the top-10 of period touring coupes or anywhere near the E9. If so, please disclose the medications or substances you are taking.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It also has a hint of a Jaguar on prozac - a little too up-turned and happy? And a tiny bit of a skinny mid-70's SL? Honestly, I've never heard of it. But an interesting debate indeed!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Like a 2-door Quattropote with hints of Aston’s disasterously edgy Lagonda (mk3).
no comparison to the timeless styling of the E9.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OUCH! This man pulls no punches. That's downright below the belt.
Side bar story: When I bought my coupe, I made the mistake of showing a picture of an e9 to a young man that used to work for me. He looked at the picture, shrugged his shoulders and said "it looks like any old Chrysler." As I said, he no longer works for me. ;)

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Momo Mirage looks beautiful, much better proportions, 225 horses, 5 speed, Italian, and only six made. Your friend is right, I would trade my E9 for a Momo Mirage
and even put up one of my sons if needed.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Momo Mirage looks beautiful, much better proportions, 225 horses, 5 speed, Italian, and only six made. Your friend is right, I would trade my E9 for a Momo Mirage

Have you owned any AMC cars in the past? I'm seeing some different proportioning of masses in the design of the Momo Mirage than the visual language of the BMWs. I think appreciation of the styling the Momo has is a learned attraction that I don't have.

Much like the ability to appreciate cilantro, not everyone has the same taste. (although cilantro tasting like soap is because some people have an extra group of olfactory-receptor genes, called OR6A2, that pick up on the smell of aldehyde chemicals found in soap and cilantro.)

I grew up with 60's and 70's Detroit iron and British cars. Not a fan for various reasons. The Momo Mirage has the same aftertaste.
German cars speak to me. That's where I spend my time and money and I feel rewarded.

Ian

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like cilantro so much that I am a self defined "cilanthropist"...

Much like the ability to appreciate cilantro, not everyone has the same taste. (although cilantro tasting like soap is because some people have an extra group of olfactory-receptor genes, called OR6A2, that pick up on the smell of aldehyde chemicals found in soap and cilantro.)

Ian

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Throw in your spleen and you might have a deal! :eek: