Monterey 2016, 100th year party, Legends etc

dascoupeguy

Reaction score
Geez... We just finished Legends and since 2016 is just around the corner here is a 'pep-talk' for the 100 year celebration... (not that it needs one...)

I just refreshed my memory of the 1996 event after 'accidently' finding my November 1996 Roundel. What memories THAT brought back. That issue pretty much was cover to cover all about BMW being the featured marque in 1996. I don't know if any old issues of Roundel are archived and available online, but if you kept that issue i would encourage you to read through it.

There was no Legends of the Autobahn back then but in those days we (Central Cal Chapter) hosted the BMW corral and the Ultimate Clean Car Contest held within Concorso Italiano, then at Quail Lodge. (also covered in the 1996 issue). That year we also incorporated 'Coupefest' at Quail and had over 50 coupes on the grass. This event continued annually though 2008 and ultimately evolved into Legends.

At Laguna Seca in 1996 we had at least 104 e9's in the corral and boasted to have had over 750 bimmers at that event. THAT whole weekend was fantastic and unforgettable.

I think it is safe to say that what happened in 1996 will pale in comparison to the 100 year 'party' that is in store for us. The spectacle that will unfold at Laguna Seca will on its own test the capacity our sensory faculties. When you add in the Legends event the day before and Oktoberfest the week after... good god...pass me the Valium while I ascend into BMW heaven!

Already I see that there are at least 25 e9's committed to attending with many from the East coast. (there are probably more that have indicated attending on the other threads on the forum, but I haven't checked) I'm sure that given the magnitude and importance of 2016 that we will easily eclipse the numbers from 1996.

The 2015 Legends event boasted 30 + coupes on the grass. Those numbers were prompted by the 40th anniversary of the CSL's dominance in racing that year. Quite a turnout, since we figured that 2015 was going to be an 'off year' with most bimmerphiles looking ahead to 2016.

There are many details still to be worked out for 2016. When you think of all the blau mit weiss-ers planning on coming to the party at Laguna Seca, the SIG's, and the vintage tour planned for that year, its going to be sensory overload to say the least. Stay tuned as the planning for event(s) unfolds.

A big thank you to all the local 'coupe-guys' that helped out at Legends this year. Count on being asked to help out again in 2016. Ahd that goes for any coupe newbs that would like to pitch in for help here and there.

Then there's Ofest.... yikes!

Lastly, PLEASE if you haven't already, finalize your lodging plans. DO NOT WAIT to do that!

(2 pics attached from 1996, taken by Klaus Shcnitzer)

Again, stay tuned! DCG

Attachments

• 1996 coupes.jpg
    1996 coupes.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 256
  • 1996 Monterey.jpg enhanced.jpg
    1996 Monterey.jpg enhanced.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 247

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So because of all the early hype, I figured Legends registration would already be open but it is not, anyone have any idea when they plan on opening registration?

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ditch the hotels, rent a house

Guys, I gave up on the monterey hotels years ago. They are overpriced and generally don't offer good parking for our coupes. Check VRBO for rental homes in the monterey area. Generally, I've found nice 2 - 3 bedroom homes in Pacific Grove, right in the middle of all the activity. This year, I found a larger house in Carmel to accommodate 3 of us coming in from the East Coast. And it has a hot tub too!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Guys, I gave up on the monterey hotels years ago. They are overpriced and generally don't offer good parking for our coupes. Check VRBO for rental homes in the monterey area. Generally, I've found nice 2 - 3 bedroom homes in Pacific Grove, right in the middle of all the activity. This year, I found a larger house in Carmel to accommodate 3 of us coming in from the East Coast. And it has a hot tub too!

Great advice and so true, Chris, thank you for the update as well!!! Looking forward to seeing you all there, at least the hard part is over, booked a VRBO right by the Cannery. Even though it will be hot that time of year, the hot tub, BBQ, and fire pit will come in handy I'm sure...

:mrgreen:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The thumb is out

I will arrive at San Jose airport at 8:30pm Wednesday Aug 17th.
Was going to try for an Uber to Monterey and just thought if someone from Nor Cal or points north happened to be driving bye, I could hitch a ride and pay for a tank of premium.:cool:

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan, that is a very long Uber, even though prices are cheap, that is ridiculous. If I wasn't coming from SoCal I would for sure grab you. I'm sure you will have no problem at all hitching a ride from someone on the site. Plus, I'm sure there ride will beat a Prius anyday!!!

runner

Reaction score
Stan

In case you don't get a ride,you should know their is an Airport Shuttle service between San Jose Airport and downtown Monterey-right in the middle of everything. It's Resonable too- somewhere around $35-50-which will probably be the cheapest thing you pay for that week.

Bob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan

In case you don't get a ride,you should know their is an Airport Shuttle service between San Jose Airport and downtown Monterey-right in the middle of everything. It's Resonable too- somewhere around $35-50-which will probably be the cheapest thing you pay for that week.

Www.montereyairbus.com

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
Is there an entry form for the August Historics?

I'm sorry if I'm late to the party, but is there an entry form to be part of the Laguna Seca Coupe Coral in August? I did a search, but couldn't find anything. I was there in 1996, so it would be fun to do it again. Are there any other activities that one shouldn't miss?

Thanks, Tom Colitt
ClassicAutosLA

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
Thank you Chris.

It looks like they are really reaming people. You pay for a spot in the coral, but you have to also buy the 3 day race ticket, even if you aren't going for three days... Then, you can individually pay for the breakfast and for the lunch. But first, you have to pay some more to be allowed to enter the special area where they serve the lunch. Oh, I almost forgot. Then you also have to buy a one year membership to the BMWCCA, so you can bring your classic BMW to honor the marque, so that BMW can use our beautiful and well-maintained cars to further promote their brand to the BMW owners that really matter to them :)...

I think there are other events outside the 3-day Historics at Laguna Seca, that are more reasonable ;-)... I might just bring my new love, a 1972 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser instead and just watch other people's BMWs in the Coral on Saturday and Sunday and remember the good ole days and the Coupe Coral from 1996.... I'll also have the Cruiser set up as the service vehicle with spare parts and tools for the rest of the gang :)

Attachments

• 100_0949.jpg
    100_0949.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 100_0954.jpg
    100_0954.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 183

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
SCRAMP sets the rules on requiring a three day race ticket for the featured marques, not BMW. BMWCCA membership has always been required to display your BMW at LOTA and at the Festorics, no change there, I think that makes sense.

You are welcome to attend other events as you see fit, you might be happier too.

dascoupeguy

Reaction score
2016 legends of the Autobahn update

Number of attendees/participants continue to grow and are impressive to say the least. As of June 5 there are @ 212 total BMW's registered for the event. 51 of those are entered for judging. There are 5 e9's in the Coupe class. We would like to see more e9's in this class!

Don't wait any longer to sign up for this 'once in a lifetime' edition of LOTA. Friday, August 19, 2016 at Nicklaus Club Monterey.

Go to: https://www.bmwcca.org/celebratebmw to register.

Please join other Coupe owners from across the country and celebrate the 100th birthday of BMW. LOTA is the 'kickoff' event for the weekend.

See you in August!

Wayne
(dascoupeguy)

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
New event for Tuesday August 16 - Carmel Concours?

Hi guys, our merry band of Northern Virginia/Maryland E9-ers is driving up Monday afternoon from Orange County via highway 1 after we pay a visit to Coupe King and catch up with Peter and company that morning. My car was restored there in 2011.

Orginally, we were going up early to attend the Carmel Concours on Tuesday morning. I had not done any research on this up until last weekend and found out they normally have no BMWs at all and the entry fee for display or judging is $250!

I talked with the organizer yesterday who would love to have group of us there in our own class - either E9s or vintage BMWs -- from 7 - 20 vehicles. A Committee has to approve that, apparently, but the organizer is convinced we are an easy approval in light of our centenial birthday and sheer beauty of our cars of course.

What do you think? Should we do this? The whole Monterey week I will be hemoraging money anyway and what's another $250? The proceeds go to pay for the event and the senior home that provides volunteer staff.

Let me know if there are at least 7 of us and we can have our own class. If we don't get to that, we will likely go anyway and spectate as they typically have 200+ cars. But the organizer told me we can't be included in the limelight display unless we enter.

Wayne

jmackro

Reaction score
Hi guys, our merry band of Northern Virginia/Maryland E9-ers is driving up Monday afternoon from Orange County via highway 1

Allow at least a whole afternoon to drive from OC to Carmel via 405, 101, and 1 through Big Sur. Google Maps says that route will take 6-3/4 hours, which I think is optimistic. Add gas/food/pee breaks to that time, and keep in mind that don't want to rush through the second half of this drive. I'd recommend leaving Coupe King at least by noon, especially if you are planning an early morning on Tuesday (and pretty much every morning is an early morning during Monterey week!).

I talked with the organizer yesterday who would love to have group of us there in our own class - either E9s or vintage BMWs -- from 7 - 20 vehicles. A Committee has to approve that, apparently , but the organizer is convinced we are an easy approval in light of our centenial birthday and sheer beauty of our cars of course.

The Tuesday "Concours on the Avenue" is literally held on the avenue(s) of downtown Carmel - there is no "course". Space is fairly limited - adding 20 more cars will require blocking off an additional street. If the organizer you spoke with is willing to do this, great! But understand that it isn't as easy as taking over one more fairway on a golf course.

However this works out, I'd recommend attending the Concours on the Avenue - it is a nice assortment of cars, free to spectate, knowledgeable judges, good commentators, etc. Like all Monterey events, get there early as parking gets intense as the day progresses.

Last edited: