More forum pollution

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think there is a certain allure to any car that is 35 years old, runs and only costs a few hundred dollars. That being said, I pulled the trigger on the black 1981 320is I came across a few weeks back. It's missing the front spoiler and the leather gear shift knob, other than that it's complete. Supposedly the car runs with a new battery but I will drain all its bodily fluids before attempting to turn it over. There are a few decent bumps on the underside but from my "initial" inspection there are only a couple of small rust spots on the front floors that require just a strip of sheet metal to be welded in- please note the phrase "initial" inspection. Anyhow, I plan to get her running safely (another relative term) and then do a driving restoration hoping to rope my daughter into the process. It has 185K on the clock and does not seem to have any serious evidence of accident(s) however there is a dent in the passenger door and I feel a little extra thickness around the fender lip on the passenger rear wheel well. Below are the starting pictures. Anyone with any knowledge (or not) please feel free to chime in :)

Also, looking to paint it the most obnoxious "Official BMW color" produced so I'm open to suggestions.

Attachments

• 320is1.jpg
    320is1.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 320is2.jpg
    320is2.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 320is3.jpg
    320is3.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 320is4.jpg
    320is4.jpg
    782.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 320is5.jpg
    320is5.jpg
    709.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 320is6.jpg
    320is6.jpg
    671.1 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Congrat's Peter. So glad that another 320is will be saved! Recommend you buy the Blue Haynes 320i '75-'83 manual on amazon. 320i are undervalued and under-appreciated BMWs. Too many good ones have been plundered for their 5-speeds, limited slips and Recaro seats for the '02 crowd.

Colors suggestions, Golf, Taiga or the E36s Techno Violet.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd harvest those seats and gearbox for my 2002. Looks like fun. Few things better than a project car that is worth nothing.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew, and Nicad; I'm taking that comment in the best of interpretations :)

One thing I did notice when pulling it onto the trailer is that it has a rather wide wheelbase compared to other cars I tow, it could just be my infatuation-

restart

Reaction score
Nice score! Great little cars and I speak from experience.
I had an e21 320is for many years and only sold it a few years back. Silver/black.
Still miss that car, every once in awhile I go hunting for it. Very fun tail happy car. The motor in mine was bulletproof and great on gas.
Keep this thread as your 'build' thread. I am sure I will find it irresistible and I'll enjoy the diversion.
Cheers

m_thompson

Reaction score
I had a grey market '79 323i. 40% more HP than the 320i and disk brakes on all wheels. Lots of fun, but getting parts was a challenge.

Bwana

Reaction score
Does anybody else see just the .jpg listing and not the actual photos in the OP's initial post? Is my cybernanny blocking something here at work or have I messed up my settings somehow?

Nice car BTW!

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does anybody else see just the .jpg listing and not the actual photos in the OP's initial post? Is my cybernanny blocking something here at work or have I messed up my settings somehow?

Nice car BTW!

Yes, just jpg.
There was a problem with this a few days ago and i thought Dan had it fixed.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At any point you guys can kick me to another forum, but until I'm ousted I'll continue to ask the folks here for advice; I got the 320is in the shop today and actually got her running :), well, I did not have to drain the tank because it was bone dry, but she has no brakes, and the clutch slave or master is not functioning, most of the bushings are totally toasted and the fan blade is in bad shape, She is leaking gas from the big hose that connects the 2 fuel tank halves and the fuel pump check valve- other than that she's ready for Pebble Beach! Where can I get parts for this thing? (1981, 320is), any help is appreciated,

Thanks

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Question for Restart

I went to change out the rear drum brakes on the 320is and had to release the parking brake cable tension at the brake handle (2 10mm nuts-just like our e9's) all the way to get the drum on. Is this normal or is another job that I'll have to do 2 or 3 times?

Thanks

restart

Reaction score
Hey Peter.
Sorry, didn't notice this til now. Huh, I forgot e21s have drum brakes in the back.
Did you turn back the eccentric adjuster for the drum brake?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Restart, the adjusters are all the way in, drums are on and working correctly, a bit of a pain but I think the cables may have been binding a little.

Another question, do you think it would be safe to fit 205/60/13 tires on those basketweave rims. Original size for the is I think was 195/70/13.

Thanks, I'll post some more pictures soon.

restart

Reaction score
I remember I had a hell of a time with my e-brake cables the first time I did the brakes on that car. Not as much fun as the sunroof cable though.:x

Tire size is a very personal choice, methinks. IIRC I had 195s on mine. It had oversteer in the rain, could have been the tire brand. It looks like 205/60 is at the limit, will fit fine and maintain speedo accuracy. Probably look ok too. I guess there are pros and cons to every tire size. How often do we really get to drive at 7/10ths. Is there a consensus on whether wider tires are actually better? From the little I know it has a lot to do with sidewall flexibility.
I found a couple of posts on bimmerforums about this....

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1955554-13-quot-205-s

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1424487-Is-anyone-running-a-205-60-13

Last edited:

CarSnob

Reaction score
Color Change?

Most obnoxious official BMW color? Phoenix Yellow comes to mind...

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Color

Oh yes, that yellow is truly, ah, unique. For the time being I have decided to keep her the original color with the hail dents etc. I plan on spraying the hood and a couple other spots black for now since someone painted them flat black at some point but If I decide to do a full respray, I'm thinking some kind of really obnoxious green. There is allot of sorting to do and everywhere I turn there is another genus of crawling creature to exterminate, but all the fluids are changed and I put in new plugs which helped allot. I need to track down a vacuum leak, change the tires and struts/shocks and all the bushings and the U-joint then she should be ready for inspection :)

Attachments

• cleaning up4.jpg
    cleaning up4.jpg
    898.4 KB · Views: 113
  • cleaning up3.jpg
    cleaning up3.jpg
    868.9 KB · Views: 128
  • cleaning up2.jpg
    cleaning up2.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 113
  • cleaning up1.jpg
    cleaning up1.jpg
    833 KB · Views: 116

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was outside the local supermarket last week and I saw this hippie driving a convertible 335is, I don't know the year, probably around 1995 maybe later but the car looked like it had been through a couple of tours in Viet Nam and possibly returned home through Bosnia- It was a beautiful thing, he just squeezed in between two cars, hopped out, no locking or anything like that- simply enjoying his presumably "high" lifestyle and off to purchase some food related articles. I said now that's the way to enjoy a BMW! As such I have decided to "fix up" the 320is in much the same fashion, it will be mechanically sound but I'm not restoring it, just making her solid and safe. Keeping the cheapo 185/70/13 tire size and leaving the small hail dents that poc-marc her body. Insurance will be cheap, gas will be cheap and it's an unique enough car to feel good about driving her, kind of like an attractive girl who was homeless for a while, rode hard and put away wet. I do believe in cleaning the things I have to work on so the suspension has been restored though I don't plan on detailing the undercarriage anytime soon. Here's the progress;

Attachments

• front end1.jpg
    front end1.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 105
  • front end2.jpg
    front end2.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 121

restart

Reaction score
Peter, curious if you ever tried that subframe mount fab?
I am looking at a 500$ 320is here, it's extremely beat but I may need the seats, posi, steering wheel and 5 speed for an O2 project.
It's funny how if you are thinking about a thing it tends to show up. While I was driving to look a the beater I met a guy who bought his 320 in 86 and has put 400,000 k on it with no motor work. He needs subframe bushings and an fuel accumulator.
I told him I would find out how your subframe project went.
When I had my e21 I had to replace my fuel accumulator and remember it being difficult to source that accumulator. Ever seen one for sale lately.
Lovely motor in that 6er by the way.
Cheers
Al

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Al, I tried the mounts but finally ended up with a pair from IE that are solid and the difference is amazing, I really recommend them. I understand they make them for the e9 so that will be another upgrade to go along with the presumably M(0 moter that is being built now :)

The 320 is is one of the most fun cars I drive, nothing stops it! (brakes included) :) I still have some under-car work to do before I really start throwing it around.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like you approach to this project. My most enjoyable cars have been ones where cosmetics were down the list of priorities. Front end is beautiful.