Mounted my aftermarket seat belts

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought these aftermarket retractable seat belts a while ago and finally got around to installing them. I'm very happy with the way they turned out.

My car is a '69 2800 with the shoulder belt mounting on the roof but the B-pillar trim panel had the recessed area at shoulder height. I pulled the panel off and it already had a hole in the metal that was just covered with vinyl (I can't believe the trim panel is metal, and has metal clips. Awesome).

IMG_20211119_172715780.jpg

IMG_20211119_180003862.jpg

IMG_20211119_180707412.jpg

The retractor mounts on the interior rocker. I think later cars might mount in the bottom of the B-pillar.

IMG_20211119_181216508.jpg

Installed.

IMG_20211119_181258269.jpg

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've had this in mind, very helpful thanks!
I hated fumbling with the original seat belts and I never used the shoulder belt. It's so great to just sit down and pull the belt into position and have the shoulder belt at the right height. It took about 30 minutes a side including drilling the holes slightly larger on the belt mounts.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I hated fumbling with the original seats and I never used the shoulder belt. It's so great to just sit down and pull the belt into position and have the shoulder belt at the right height. It took about 30 minutes a side including drilling the holes slightly larger on the belt mounts.I
I won't drive my kids in the car because it's so hard to adjust the seat belts. What size drill bit did you use to open up the holes? Any other thoughts? I have a 71 2800cs.

- Steve

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I won't drive my kids in the car because it's so hard to adjust the seat belts. How what size drill bit did you use to open up the wholes? Any other thoughts? I have a 71 2800cs.

- Steve
I used a step drill bit and just checked size as I went. It wasn't that much bigger. Is your car setup like mine? Shoulder belt mounted on the roof? Trim piece the same? Also, I used a 12" female receptacle, not the 18" in the link. You can choose what you want.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow, just read my last post - "wholes" what? I meant holes :) Argh! You have an e3, mine is an e9, it's mounted on the left and right of the back seat, dead center.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I won't drive my kids in the car because it's so hard to adjust the seat belts. How what size drill bit did you use to open up the wholes? Any other thoughts? I have a 71 2800cs.

- Steve
i also have a 2800cs. my coupe only has lap belts (coupeking). i am looking at putting early e24 belts into the car. Brendan is going to try to mount the inertia reel into the hole at the bottom of the door jamb ... the interesting concern is how we will get the upper 'turning' point onto the car and keep it there if / when it is needed. then i will have to create a belt exit out of the side (door) panel. the end of the belt will mount into the standard hole at the rear base of the seat.

curious if anybody else has an idea of how to do good 3 point belts in coupes without the roof mount.