Music in shop

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, finally added my old turntable to the heaps of stuff in my shop. Up to now, I have been listening to satellite radio out there, and enjoying it. But yesterday, I had to clear out the crawl space under my house to let gas fitter in to prep for new fireplace, and found all my treasured '70s Jazz albums! Yes! So I walked my unused Technics turntable out to the shop, plugged all the cables into my Pioneer receiver, and enjoyed re-aquainting myself to the sounds of Weather Report, Quincy Jones, Donald Fagen (Nightfly), Deodato, +++ through these excellent Boston Acoustics speakers, and really look forward to my next project with this music from the years when I so dreamed I could own such cars as my E9 Coupe, my Healey 3000 and my new project: a Bugeyed Austin Healey Sprite :)

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mid winter this year I went to the shop, and upon entering noticed the flourescent lights were going nuts flashing sporadically.
Weird electrical problem. Phoned my now retired 85 year old electrician, and he said I must have a downed neutral wire because of the recent storm. He no longer wants to drive into Toronto though, so I found another electrician who said it must be something to do with my main circuit breaker, but he was retiring due to back issues and didn't want to do the job. (This said while looking directly at the circuit breaker in front of his nose...but he knew somebody who could do it. That somebody would not show up after repeated calls, so ditched him and found a new guy. New guy was great, said it would be cheaper to buy a new fuse panel, take the circuit breaker out and replace it. Five hours into it, he said my lights were wired incorrectly, so he started taking wires apart. Got everything back in place, new circuit breaker installed, same problem, lights going wild. So we walk out side the shop and in the distance he spots a wire hanging off a pole. Hmmmn. The old guy got it right over the phone. So the city comes out, fixes the wire and I have power again, but now my lights don't work. Long story ....all my audio gear is now Blown except one very cheap amp I bought new for $80 30 years ago. Citation 22 power amp blown completely, Citation Pre amp down but now fixed, British Cambridge integrated amp blown but fixable.
My shop is divided into 4 rooms. When I put it together I wired it to have sound in each. Since my wife banished large speakers from the house and always objected to my choice in music, I yanked the works out of the house and moved it to the cave....the one place I listen to whatever I want at whatever volume. In the house we now only have a wifi Sonos speaker that is played with Spotify. Looking forward to finally getting tunes in the shop and getting back there after a summer where I didn't get to spend any time there. Now, my next hifi set is most likely to be a Siemens hearing aid I am contemplating getting. Reached that point sadly.

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i am this days acquiring new old stereo hifi gear, i started with a sony pl77 biotracking turntable, then the speakers were a problem so i bought an B&W p4, then amp found a sansuiAU555-A, in the way a set of sansui AU4900 with a TU3700
enjoying this discoveries

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mid winter this year I went to the shop, and upon entering noticed the flourescent lights were going nuts flashing sporadically.
Weird electrical problem. Phoned my now retired 85 year old electrician, and he said I must have a downed neutral wire because of the recent storm. He no longer wants to drive into Toronto though, so I found another electrician who said it must be something to do with my main circuit breaker, but he was retiring due to back issues and didn't want to do the job. (This said while looking directly at the circuit breaker in front of his nose...but he knew somebody who could do it. That somebody would not show up after repeated calls, so ditched him and found a new guy. New guy was great, said it would be cheaper to buy a new fuse panel, take the circuit breaker out and replace it. Five hours into it, he said my lights were wired incorrectly, so he started taking wires apart. Got everything back in place, new circuit breaker installed, same problem, lights going wild. So we walk out side the shop and in the distance he spots a wire hanging off a pole. Hmmmn. The old guy got it right over the phone. So the city comes out, fixes the wire and I have power again, but now my lights don't work. Long story ....all my audio gear is now Blown except one very cheap amp I bought new for $80 30 years ago. Citation 22 power amp blown completely, Citation Pre amp down but now fixed, British Cambridge integrated amp blown but fixable.
My shop is divided into 4 rooms. When I put it together I wired it to have sound in each. Since my wife banished large speakers from the house and always objected to my choice in music, I yanked the works out of the house and moved it to the cave....the one place I listen to whatever I want at whatever volume. In the house we now only have a wifi Sonos speaker that is played with Spotify. Looking forward to finally getting tunes in the shop and getting back there after a summer where I didn't get to spend any time there. Now, my next hifi set is most likely to be a Siemens hearing aid I am contemplating getting. Reached that point sadly.
What a story! sounds so typical, try to fix one thing, it leads to other re-jigging, while primary symptom unaffected. Sorry to read of the carnage to that cool stereo equipment. hope you get some time in that shop soon, wrap up the boat for the season!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
What a story! sounds so typical, try to fix one thing, it leads to other re-jigging, while primary symptom unaffected. Sorry to read of the carnage to that cool stereo equipment. hope you get some time in that shop soon, wrap up the boat for the season!
Boats are good till freezing. The one amp that didn't blow up is now in my Tiny 8X8 boat shop. Hope I spend some time in there with the 18 HP Evinrude Fastwin before ice forces me to leave the island.

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Boats are good till freezing. The one amp that didn't blow up is now in my Tiny 8X8 boat shop. Hope I spend some time in there with the 18 HP Evinrude Fastwin before ice forces me to leave the island.
My shop "music" is the late lamented "Car Talk" show, NPR and BBC. Music is for driving.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
ah driving yes, we get to enjoy our musical tastes, and experience the tactile feel of the driving experience. "Music' in the shop can have another use, as cover for the possible outpouring of disappointment when the socket shears that bolt, when that 10mm nut from the carb linkage drops but doesn't hit the floor, when the coolant sprays on your face...again...and so on. Some music camouflage, really does wonders ;)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
no music for me, it's just silence with me vs. car and the sound of clinking wrenches, curse words, and nuts ricocheting into crevices unknown.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was going to set up an old Mac in the garage with lots of MP3 files for our garage on Maui. Had the Mac, but didn't get it all working with speakers. Then I moved to the mainland and discarded the boat anchor of a computer along the way. Now I have an iPad 2 and a B&O Bluetooth speaker (discount buy from a closing Radio Shack) and I stream Pandora or Spotify. The speaker lives on an upper shelf and the iPad lives on the wall above the work bench, both space saving places in my small one car garage.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I use the time I have wrenching on my cars to learn about the musicians who inspired the music of my youth. Muddy Waters, Junior Wells, Charlie Musselwaite, Buddy Guy, Elmore James, Freddie King, Little Walter, Ray Charles, T-Bone Walker... I really liked the white guys who covered these artists; I now know they were a pale imitation (bad pun intended) of the originals.