Must drive roads in Southern California

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm figuring this forum has some real experts on the roads in California and East of there. I'm arriving Thursday in LA, renting a Yamaha 900 Tracer and heading East to the Palm Springs area to meet up with a friend on his Kawasaki ZX14R. From there we will head further inland in pursuit of twisty mountain roads, desert, landscape and a cold beer at the end of the day. I have till Tuesday to drive around aimlessly, return the bike and get on a plane back to winter.

Initial thoughts are to go towards Joshua Tree national park...but I have not done much research unfortunately. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure of the road, but Banning is off I-10 and there’s a crazy road up the hill to Idyllwild and then back down to Palm Springs on the uber-twisty Palms to Pines Highway. The run from Temecula to PS is fun but good amount of traffic.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure of the road, but Banning is off I-10 and There’s a crazy road up the hill to Idyllwild and then back down to Palm Springs, and the run from Temecula to PS is fun but good amount of traffic.
Thanks for the Tip!

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm figuring this forum has some real experts on the roads in California and East of there. I'm arriving Thursday in LA, renting a Yamaha 900 Tracer and heading East to the Palm Springs area to meet up with a friend on his Kawasaki ZX14R. From there we will head further inland in pursuit of twisty mountain roads, dessert, landscape and a cold beer at the end of the day. I have till Tuesday to drive around aimlessly, return the bike and get on a plane back to winter.

Initial thoughts are to go towards Joshua Tree national park...but I have not done much research unfortunately. Suggestions greatly appreciated.
See the attached map. I outlined what is undoubtedly some of the best motorcycle rides in the area. This time of year the trips up to Big Bear will be icy.
The forecast this coming week shows upper 60 during the day, sunny. Not many side of the road spots for food, but there are a couple. I live out in that area, and traffic can be an issue, but, the twistee’s are to good to pass up. Out of Palm Springs take 74- Follow 74 to Hemet then north to 79 which takes you back to I-10. Or, 74 to 243 north to I-10 Banning. Both routes are fun and full of the stuff that makes riding a bike well worth it. The trip to Joshua Tree is nice, its mostly straights though.
Have fun!!! Weather should be nice and sunny. That Blue dot, is where I live. If you need some help while you are out
17CB744A-0647-4C32-8F5F-33EC52365297.png

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
243 is still closed from early this year but the ride through Joshua Tree is amazing just be sure to make many stops to see everything.

Steven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Weather is a huge factor this time of year (rain and snow in various parts this week/weekend), but Angeles National Forrest has some absolutely fantastic roads and views!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks a ton, this Intel so far is greatly appreciated.

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am a little tense about getting out of LA on a motorcycle via highway. I hate riding around fast moving traffic. I suppose it won't move fast. Also have a CO2 cartridge for my airbag vest that might not get past the TSA this morning.

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am a little tense about getting out of LA on a motorcycle via highway. I hate riding around fast moving traffic. I suppose it won't move fast. Also have a CO2 cartridge for my airbag vest that might not get past the TSA this morning.
You are able to use the Express/car pool lanes on your bike. Just stay in the far left express lane. It will get you out of downtown LA eastbound. On the I-10

Steven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Agreed— use the carpool lane along the way. Also, if you have the luxury of time, it’s not hard to take streets from LAX all the way to Pasadena or Arcadia and catch the 210 after much of the typical LA craziness.

Worth a stop at Big 5 for a new CO2 cartridge along the way, too!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
C02 cartridge was permitted, so that was good. I got to the bike rental a little later than I hoped due to plane de icing issues. Left the airport area around three pm on an unfamiliar bike.... Certainly was intimidated by what I drove through to get out of L.A. Felt like I was going in circles. Wow there are a lot of trucks and cars here . I was certainly trying to stay focused getting to Palm springs and it took place as the sun went down much earlier than I had hoped for. I hate driving at night on a motorcycle, let alone one in so many Lanes of traffic
I did try my hand at Lane splitting..... Seems like only a matter of time till you make a big mistake, so mostly kept to the slow Lane once I got out of town and the amount of big trucks increased.
The 900 Tracer has more power than my normal Vstrom, so good at squirting ahead of trucks when you want to ride in a less congested area. Going to do the drive today that is in the map provided by Mmshul. One thing bothering me is my phone camera decided it has taken its last photo yesterday of the bike at a gas station.... Google is sending me my third Pixel 2... Great camera, but a lemon . Will be swapping to the Kawasaki Zx14r for part of today, so I will need extreme discipline when it comes to throttle application, as it goes to 60 in 2.6 seconds if you are crazy enough to floor it.

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
C02 cartridge was permitted, so that was good. I got to the bike rental a little later than I hoped due to plane de icing issues. Left the airport area around three pm on an unfamiliar bike.... Certainly was intimidated by what I drove through to get out of L.A. Felt like I was going in circles. Wow there are a lot of trucks and cars here . I was certainly trying to stay focused getting to Palm springs and it took place as the sun went down much earlier than I had hoped for. I hate driving at night on a motorcycle, let alone one in so many Lanes of traffic
I did try my hand at Lane splitting..... Seems like only a matter of time till you make a big mistake, so mostly kept to the slow Lane once I got out of town and the amount of big trucks increased.
The 900 Tracer has more power than my normal Vstrom, so good at squirting ahead of trucks when you want to ride in a less congested area. Going to do the drive today that is in the map provided by Mmshul. One thing bothering me is my phone camera decided it has taken its last photo yesterday of the bike at a gas station.... Google is sending me my third Pixel 2... Great camera, but a lemon . Will be swapping to the Kawasaki Zx14r for part of today, so I will need extreme discipline when it comes to throttle application, as it goes to 60 in 2.6 seconds if you are crazy enough to floor it.
Hoping you had a wonderful day riding.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hoping you had a wonderful day riding.
Excellent day. Rode up to the snow and had lunch at the restaurant suggested. Nice , got a bowl of Hot Korean beef. Excellent friendly service. We took the interstate home, which I really don't like
Rode the ZX14 on some of the Twisty stuff . It had the most refined and powerful engine of any vehicle I have ever driven. Third gear will do anything. But for me this bike is all about restraint and caution. I'm putting together a 250cc off road touring bike this winter. I think I like a slow bike going fast.. or at least imagining it is .

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sure took a great road today. East Grade road, off Highway 76, just a mile or so past Lake Henshaw. Beautiful up there. Was riding amongst the snow, heated jacket, socks and handgrips kept me happy and a major puffy cloud was just below me, lit up by the Sun. Several trees were also in Fall colors. Loved it. .. till I hit traffic galore where I am holed up for the night in Lake Elsinore. Morning dash to LAX. Preparing for Battle.